NIP loophole gone?

bird

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this? I thought I read a post from someone on here who didn't sign their NIP, sent it back and then received a letter saying that the loophole about not signing had been closed.

Did I read it here or am I imagining things (again!)?

Thanks.

I know that various police forces are now thretening to take people to the Mags' Court for failure to furnish driver details. According to the Speeding forum on pistonheads.com (usually a good-ish source of information as a lot of people on there have NIPs pending) this is just a tactic - they can't actually do you for it, they're just trying to frighten people into signing the form. Usually the letter quotes a piece of case-law from Bristol, which appears to me to deal with giving details over the phone, not unsigned NIPs. Basically the general opinion seems to be, the System is trying to bluff people out of not signing, becaus ethey know damn well that if every speeding ticket issued goes to Court on a question of the admissibility of evidence, irrespective of the outcome, the Court system will be unable to cope with the caseload... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check out the Pistonheads forum, there's a massive thread ongoing on there at the moment, including one guy who's been back and forth on the unsigned NIP point since January /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif Also, you can get some good info here:
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html

Thanks, that pretty much answers my question. Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif