NTL Broadbrand?

Moresauce

Reaction score
Website
www.planet-audi.net
Hi,

I have seen that NTL now do a broadband package with access at 150k flat rate 24/7 access for just £17.99 which is only £2 more than I pay for unlimited access via ordianry dial up.

What I want to know is how good is NTL service and how good is there service provsion, i.e can you get hrough etc....

Advice and help please

I wouldnt count on NTL service... and for £17.99, its not really worth it IMO. Can get 512k for £22.50/month unlimited 24/7 access.

Rich

I actually think the NTL service is a broadband like service, i.e. always on and not a normal dial up service.
so this would mean you would either need a cable modem or a set top box depending on which system you are on (area dependant)

I use NTL 512, and its superb, turn the computer on and your connected, even better than ADSL where you still have to start a connection off. Ive never had any trouble getting a connection, very reliable in my case.

Mark

ntl service is very good ive never had a problem with it....ive got the 600k jobby ....ill never ever go back!..ohh and u get free email, web space etc etc...unlike some others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I use NTL's 600k service and although I have had a problem, but they sent an engineer out within 24 hours.
The intermitent problem was eventually diagnosed as a faulty signal conditioner as the cable comes into the house.
I cant fault their customer services, they even telephoned me to say that they would credit my next bill a week due to the technical problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The sound of a dial up modem gives me a cold shiver down my spine now, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

I've been using NTL for nearly 4 years and recently upgraded to their 1Mb Broadband service, which rocks..

As long as you don't mind the obligatory wait, whilst trying to get through to their 'Customer Service' department, their service is actually quite good.

I bought a wireless router a while ago, which was not supported by NTL, and had massive problems in getting it working (it was an ACTIONTECH router), and after many hours speaking to their 'Help Desk' in america I gave up and called NTL to see if they could offer any assistance, which they did but could only offer limited assistance as the guy I was talking to didn't know the product.

So, all in all I'd say that NTL are worth their preverbial salt in the Broadband market.

I'm just about to move and NTL are not at the nre location so it looks like I'll have to use BT's service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I use NTL 600k too, never had a 'down day' its been reliable and generally superb. Always get good download speeds (avg. 70k/sec). Only problem is their non-existent customer service... oh well it is cheap!

I was thinking about upgrading to 1mg (£35 per month) but not sure if its really worth it.

Moff

Your having the same dilema as I had, before I switched to their 1Mb service.

In the end I thought ferk it, if I don't see a noticeable difference then I'll switch back to the 600Mb and only have lost the difference in price for 1 month.

I still have the 1Mb service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Recently, since I swapped from the USB connection to a Lan Card, via an RJ45 cable, the speed seems to have gone mad - I'm getting 'sample' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif tracks from the net within 2 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I swapped from USB to using the NIC and Cat 5 a while ago, it also free's up more resource on your pc.

I think I might try 1mb after I come back from my hols... need all the money I can get at the moment!

I opted for BT broadband (576 kps) but am regretting it profusely. Nothing to do with the speed of delivery, which is fine for my purposes, or the cost, which made sense as I was already paying as much to BT for their Anytime package plus the extra line which I no longer need now. No, it is their fuc*ing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif webmail service which they insist on making you use, and deny you access to you btopenworld email account through Microsoft Outlook. This means you have to log on to their /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif beta concept piece-of-software-***** to pick up your emails. It stinks, takes far too long and all because they want to rub your nose in sponsored banner ads and make as much money as possible. And of course they have not responded to any of my complaints. I hate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif BT with a vengeance. I've had to open up another email account with hotmail which I can access through MS Outlook/ Express. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif BT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif BT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif BT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif BT

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
... even better than ADSL where you still have to start a connection off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that's not strictly true - I have ADSL and have a Wireless ADSL router permanently switched on - which means that, like you, my internet connection is 'on' as soon as I switch on my PC

If you're controlling the connection from your PC though, you're absolutely right - I just wanted you to know it's not the only way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Alex.

I got Virgin Broadband which is essentially the BT service but 3 quid a month cheaper. Plus you can cancel anytime with a months notice as opposed to the 12 month lock-in that most providers force you to sign up to.

So far it's been superb - would recomend giving it a look.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
You can access NTL email through Outlook /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great Moff, really wonderful to know!

Alex

I will soon be switching to BT's Openworld from NTL and will be looking at getting an ADSL router.

Which one have you got?

Cheers
N

Does anyone on here wokr for any comapny that gave give me a great cheap deal on access?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I work for Zen Internet and our main business is broadband, can't get you a cheap deal unfortunately, but I would highly recommend our services /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Funky_Junky said:
I work for Zen Internet and our main business is broadband, can't get you a cheap deal unfortunately, but I would highly recommend our services /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can also heartily recommend Zens broadband services.

(cheque is in the post isn't it Dave? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Christian

PS Joking aside we do use Zen for all our business broadband and we're very happy.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Sorry, I work for Cisco but can't even get discounts myself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cisco eh? Just completing my CCNA at the moment and its driving me barmy!

Moresaurce - Your right NTL are cheaper, but you should see there business plan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif, anyway good luck with them and broadband in general.

Good Luck with the CCNA - the Sybex book is good, and well worth getting the Bosun tests.....

I did my CCNA about 2 years ago so I think it's changed since then - if you need a hand let me know!