Wife Crashed Her Car

woddle1000

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

after a bit of advice if I could pick someone's brains please.
My Wife had a bump (foot slipped off the clutch from stationary) into the back of someone else's car,

as it happens, a brand new Audi A1, 61 plate :faint:

the woman she bumped into said if you wish to pay private, we'll get a quote, £610.00
I thought this was astronomical for the damage, she said because it is a new car, we HAVE to go through Audi otherwise it affects her Warranty and have no option to get an independent quote,

is this right guys? and is this a stupid amount for what has gone on? I thought I should be paying around the £150-£250 mark?
here's the damage :slapped: you can see a crease on the middle/left of the bumper in white

Last edited by a moderator:
she claims she has been in contact with Audi and they will not allow anyone else to repair the car as it will void it, thought she was talking crap myself, thanks for your reply mate :)

inform her it wont void warranty, ask a friendly audi dealer to confirm, get it rfepaired and sling her 50 notes for the trouble.

If the body repair isn't at "audis" std they will reject any further bodywork claims later. That is more than likely what she is referring to. and let's be honest, if someone crashed into your 61 plate Audi, you'd' want it repaired to the best standard. Ie back to as new too.

I tried to ask her if I could get some quotes myself, she said "who are you to judge, your not qualified to discuss this" and put the phone down on me

not the happiest chappy I have ever spoken too, will go back armed with a bit more info now though, think I may just let the insurance contact me and let them get quotes, and just pay the insurance to save my NCB

totally agree, if it was my 56 plate A4 I wouldn't be happy so a 61 plate, would probably give me a heart attack lol, I don't want to scrimp, I just don't want to pay 3 times as much just to satisfy someone else if its not needed, things are tight nowerdays
we have apologised, tried to help etc, more than happy to pay for the repairs, but I was under the impression that insurance approved repairs would more than suffice?

inform her it wont void warranty, ask a friendly audi dealer to confirm, get it rfepaired and sling her 50 notes for the trouble.

Just go through the insurance, the other party is already getting shirty so let the insurers slog it out.

will do I think, i still get the chance to pay the bill to save my NCB though don't I?
totally agree, if it was my 56 plate A4 I wouldn't be happy so a 61 plate, would probably give me a heart attack lol, I don't want to scrimp, I just don't want to pay 3 times as much just to satisfy someone else if its not needed, things are tight nowerdays
we have apologised, tried to help etc, more than happy to pay for the repairs, but I was under the impression that insurance approved repairs would more than suffice?

******, so her being a ***** is going to cost me thousands in the long run, some people, decency and politness have gone out the window nowerdays, o well, thank you for all your replies everyone :)
will do I think, i still get the chance to pay the bill to save my NCB though don't I?

Playing devils advocate, ANY bump to any car of mine I would always go through insurance. No offence to you, but a "we'll fix it promise" can soon turn into "my mate Dave has a bodyshop around the corner", then you get the car back and you're not happy. You've got no recourse. Losing a years NCB is always annoying, but that's why you pay insurance so that you don't have to worry about this sort of thing.

its several years no claims bonus we would lose, I understand your point, and would be warey myself, I have let someone else pay me for a new bumper in te past,

but I was offering to get quotes from independent garages, she was not happy, she wanted Audi or nothing, and I think £610 is taking the mickey

£610 is a bit much for the damage thats been done but it's Audi repairing it so it will be expensive also if it was your 61 plate you would want it repaired at the dealers. If you go through your insurance it's going to cost you a lot more than £610 over the next 5 years

mmm, well I don't think I can pay that for a bumper, it's daylight robbery, might just stick a quote through their door, see what comes of it...

One thing you could do is ask what dealership they had taken it to, and offer a quick cash deal with the body shop? or even explain it to them, and say you will pay up front for a discount on the work, as they will have to wait ages through the INS CO..

If I'm being honest here, £610 sounds like a new bumper job, I've had Audi quotes for a full bumper respray, and they came back with £250 in the past, but I had the same work done for £150 privately paying cash.

Looking at the pic, it's a sport spec rear bumper I'm guessing? If it is a new bumper job, then If you are going to pay for the work out of your own pocket, I'm sure you can request to have the 'damaged' bumper back to recover some monies?

that's a really good idea, but the more I think about it, the more I can't part with £610 for a stationary bump, you can see the damage, that doesn't warrant a new bumper, and no insurance company in the land will sanction that, I think I will let the insurance battle it out, pay the bill and bite my tongue, this was an accident, my wife should not be taken advantage of financially for it

To be far to the owner of the new A1, and if it were me, I would want a brand new bumper on the back of it rather than have it repaired because (and I say this with respect!) that bumper was perfect before your wife drove into it an so why shouldn't it be perfect again.

If it were me, I would pay the £610 to keep my insurance info clean because as said, you will pay more over then next few years in higher premiums due to having an "at fault" claim showing on it...

As said, it wont directly void her warranty, they will still honour say an engine fault etc. But it could affect the paint/corrosion warranty.

First thing a dealer will do regarding a bodywork warranty fault is measure the paint thickness. Or you would have every badly repaired arch going back to main dealers for rust bubbling through, when its no longer original, or OE spec paint.
I know its a plastic bumper etc, just explaining how it will work.

Depends how important your NCB is to you? Were talking £600 quote, £200 what others reckon, so is that £400 going be cheaper or more expensive should you lose your NCB.
Id guess over the course of a couple of years, its cheaper to pay the £600.

still not heard anything as yet, do they have a limited time to notify my insurance after a crash?
she was so fiery on the phone that there is now no room for negotiations, just plain rude, I understand she was upset but it was an accident and we are offering to put it back to original spec!

As said, it wont directly void her warranty, they will still honour say an engine fault etc. But it could affect the paint/corrosion warranty.

First thing a dealer will do regarding a bodywork warranty fault is measure the paint thickness. Or you would have every badly repaired arch going back to main dealers for rust bubbling through, when its no longer original, or OE spec paint.
I know its a plastic bumper etc, just explaining how it will work.

Depends how important your NCB is to you? Were talking £600 quote, £200 what others reckon, so is that £400 going be cheaper or more expensive should you lose your NCB.
Id guess over the course of a couple of years, its cheaper to pay the £600.

I suppose it is possible that that the requirement to have any repairs done by an Audi-approved repairer is a condition of a finance agreement, and nothing to do with the warranty. Just a thought.

I had my rear bumper damaged last year and I had it properly repaired, the cost was nearly £1200.00 as there was a small dent in the panel, and from three foot away from the car you couldn't see the damage to the bumper. The other person was ****** off that I wouldn't accept their £100 and insisted it went through the insurance. My car, my terms if you damage it, and I expect every single one of you on here is the same.

As a side note, I only went with Aviva for my insurance as the bodywork company I use are a recommended repairer for Audi, and they did the work on my car following the previous damage.

The only problem with these private dealings is that she could still put a claim in on your insurance at a later date!

£600 is a little far fetched i think, no doubt she has gone to her dealer and they have seen a women panicking and put out a fishing line. Cher Ching

Personally i would play hard ball, she clearly wants this sorting, she clearly does not want insurance involved and shes in a rush.

So go around a few dealers, get some quotes and simply say i have found an audi dealer willing to do the repairs for 'X' amount, either you have them done here or you could just deny ever hitting her, i mean lets be honest you can barely see any damage, looks like a small scratch.

You have let it too long now, so any report to the insurance would look fishy on her part.

The only problem with these private dealings is that she could still put a claim in on your insurance at a later date!

£600 is a little far fetched i think, no doubt she has gone to her dealer and they have seen a women panicking and put out a fishing line. Cher Ching

Personally i would play hard ball, she clearly wants this sorting, she clearly does not want insurance involved and shes in a rush.

So go around a few dealers, get some quotes and simply say i have found an audi dealer willing to do the repairs for 'X' amount, either you have them done here or you could just deny ever hitting her, i mean lets be honest you can barely see any damage, looks like a small scratch.

You have let it too long now, so any report to the insurance would look fishy on her part.

I am not trying to palm her off, I am offering to have it professionally repaired to as new condition by someone other than Audi but she will not negotiate, I am sure everyone else isnt that unreasonable?

Just a side note, and I THINK this is correct, but do double check everything.... Claims only last 3 years on insurance, but points on licence last 5 years (for insurance purposes). So have a think about it and see if you have protected NCB too as that will make a difference

pretty sure we don't have a NCB protected, do you know is she has to notify our insurance within a certain period of time after the accident?

Some insurance companies ask for claims within 5 years, others 4, others 3. Just depends. Anyway looks like a T-Cut job to sort it, that's how 2 men would sort it out ;)

I am not trying to palm her off, I am offering to have it professionally repaired to as new condition by someone other than Audi but she will not negotiate, I am sure everyone else isnt that unreasonable?

Sonme Audi dealers do not do the repairs themselves but have an aproved repairer, my local Audi place (Watery Lane) uses City Centre Car Care in Digbeth, and very good they are too. My suggestion would be to go to your local Audi dealer and aks them who they recommend, then contact them and get her to go round for a quote.
If it was my car you had hit? I would get a quote from City centre car care and expect you to pay it or go through the insurance, but either way, you hit my car and I would like it back to the same condition as it was before you hit it. That in itself is not unreasonable.