Do you give cash tips to taxi drivers? And why?

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
I always feel the need to give a tip to a taxi driver, but I am starting to wonder why. He isn't giving me a discount, he is just doing his job. I already give him money, and then I scrape about for change, or say "keep that".

I am going to be using taxi services every day next week, and it will cost too much if I tip every driver for every journey.

Am I a miser for not wanting to leave a tip?

Nope, you're not a miser.
Tips are now expected for everything, regardless of whether they offer an above expected service. It shouldn't be like this.
Lately I've opted out of leaving/giving tips if I don't think its deserved.

This scene from Reservoir Dogs sums it all up perfectly:

Reservoir Dogs Tipping/Gratuity Scene 720p HD - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Great clip Ads, exactly what I was thinking.

If the taxi driver gives me a good share tip, or an educational guide to the local area, I may consider a tip. If he talks a load of all crap about tax, price of petrol, how hard up he is, I will not bother to tip him.

I don't remember when the last time I went in a taxi, never mind tip the driver?! Must admit I've never tipped one. I do tip fastfood delivery drivers though. Only because I employ a few and know how hard it can get if it's busy!

If the fair is £9 I might pay them £10 but the ride home is normally a tenner so thats all I pay.

When we get currys at work we just pay the bill, it normally 50 - 60 quid so we have spent enough :)

Nice link ads, Mr Pink = legend!!

Only tip if pished and in a good mood, otherwise no. They charge enough as it is.
Like Jo said I always bung the delivery chap 50p but he's been around a while.

TBH, the standard of service you get wherever you go is pretty **** poor these days, whether that's a taxi, restaurant or whatever.

I've got no beef with tipping, if the service is good though.

Like most folk, I've worked in customer service / hospitality at one point or another in my life, and if you can't be ***** doing a decent job, change your occupation rather than being a miserable ****.

Sorry, rant over, the last taxi I took into town came to mind with a right grumpy so-and-so and then gave me 'the look' when I waited for my change.

Yes.. If i was using the same taxi company all the time, they tend to be quicker or on time to pick you up,

No.. if it was a one off taxi ride, id only round it off like fingermouse said, £9 give £10 that sort of thing. if the fare was £5 £10 id just give that.

fk tipping. its their job, which is already expensive enough.
i dont tip any fooker, only when im on holiday and people run around for you like slaves do i tip.

I tip them. But the only time i ever get taxis is home from a night out. Im always too drunk to care tbh lol :)

Last taxi i took was cus was over the limit and werent even gonna think about risking it... He took the long way back hoping to get extra money from me i think the fare was about 22quid so i threw him 20quid and told him to go f*ck himself for being a greedy ****!!!

No, the taxi drivers I know have more holidays than I do, however much they complain.

There are people who work far harder for low wages and no tip, when was the last time you tipped a nurse?

I tip if someone goes out of their way, not otherwise, tipping is a relic from the days before minimum wage.

Turns out the Taxi's were all on account, so I didn't need to pay cash and didn't give a tip.

I am a meany!

i don't tip anyone. they are getting paid don't see the need to tip them. i don't get tips for doing my job.

just my way of looking at things

depends on the amount, if its £4.50 i'll give him a fiver, if its £5 i'll give him a fiver!