mate just won 7k, betting site then banned him !?!

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
My mate just called to say he won 7,100 on a paddy power account for a financial bet. He withdrew his winnings instantly into his bank account and obviously it had to clear but he now tels me that the website has actually banned his account. the reason he won that amount was because of some error on the system, he ended up winning but is he still entitled to that money even tho there was an error? I really hope he gets the pay out but its looking slim at the mo. :/

Lol. Unfortauntely as there was an error in the system, as much as I'd love for him to be entitled to that money, he wont be. There will be something in their T&C's that covers them for this... kind of like when Tesco had the iPad3 up for £60 on their website, everyone that bought it didn't receive one... simply an apology from Tesco explaining the error and that was that.

Don't see why they banned him though, maybe until everythings sorted?

If someone advertises a product for an amount, afaik they're obliged to sell at that advertised price, tesco's should of been made to honour that tbh.

As for your mate, well if he can prove it wasnt a system cockup & he won fair & square, he has a good chance of claiming the win.

ok he called me again just 2 secs ago. he was on the phone to some guy at paddy power to find out why they banned him but basicaly to cut a long story short it was banned to like stop money laundring etc and he just needs to call in the morning with more account details to prove its really him and he will get the cash. they guy he was talking to has assured him that he will get his winnings. Im well happy for him!

He needs to make sure he has some proof he won the said as they could easily say he is lying, assume he has emails etc to show he won & there is no way they can ban accounts just cause they won 7k in one go & for money laundering, wtf, so everytime someone wins a bundle they ban the account for that reason, seems very strange to me.

100% agree with what NHN said :icon_thumright:

If you mate put the bet on correctly and in time he will get his money
The only error in the system i can think of, is if Paddy Power displayed the wroung odds, but thats down to them and will still pay out.

As far as banning you mate.. if there is a prob with the system they may shut some accounts till its sorted.

With a price at tesco it is an Invitation to treat and by law they are not obliged to sell the product for that amount.

If you can prove that you have a right to the winnings by result then your fine. If it was a glitch the best thing you can do is pretend that you thought that your bet was a winning bet so your innocent. Withdraw the money and stash it, if they ask where it went just say you bet it away :laugh:

If you need any more advice pm me :p

As far as I was aware, if a store labels an item at a price, they were obliged to sell the item at that price, regardless if was wrongly priced, I only say this as I've seen number of times this happening & has happened to myself, funny enough with tesco's lol.

you either sell it or withdraw it from sale. So AFIAK there is no limit to how long you have to withdraw it for, so they take it offline for ten mins, while they update the site prices, then all is good

If he is spread betting on the financial markets they will be regulated by the FSA and Paddy power would be very ballsy to accidentally loose his bet as the repercussions would be severe. That aside, with spread betting you take a position (or a bet) on an financial share/commodity or index, so it is someone else who looses/wins (or a collection of people) I bet it will rise, you bet against me that it will fall etc - and Paddy Power make a commission on each bet and on the spread. Its no different to basic financial futures (swaps and CFDs) except this is the 'retail' version for the public ;)

As far as I was aware, if a store labels an item at a price, they were obliged to sell the item at that price, regardless if was wrongly priced, I only say this as I've seen number of times this happening & has happened to myself, funny enough with tesco's lol.

That changed a while ago Nigel. They are NOT obliged to sell at that price now, although they may do at the Managers sole discretion, which hardly ever falls in your favour. 99% of the time they withdraw it from sale at the till.

I remember years ago, when Comet used to use a pricing system where they had boards that they used to display the prices on. These boards came in the form of a series of digital style '8's as follows; 8888.88. So the parts of the individual 8 was coloured in black until it displayed the price with the remaining unshaded parts. Am I explaining this ok? lol.

A bloke went in and took ten video players up to the counter, and when the till girl said "that'll be £999.99 please..." He said, "I think you'll find it's £99.99...."

To many eights were shaded in by whoever had priced them up, so instead of reading 99.99, it said 9.99. Of course, the old law was still ongoing then, so he was quids in. Now, they would have withdrawn them from sale and corrected the price.

To the OP, I'm sure they would have to somehow prove that an error occurred and provide evidence of the error. Otherwise what's to stop them doing it to everyone who wins.:ohmy:

Oh and there is an offence of 'Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception', so your mate needs to be careful what he does with the money should the betting forum pursue it.

Got a Phone call at the crack on dawn this morning from a very excited and jolly mate this morning informing me that he is officially 7K richer. so all cleared and he is off now to book himself and his gf a nice first holiday together. :) so happy for him! :)

Fantastic news. I guess they were trying to pull a fast one in the hope that your mate panicked and returned it. I love hearing stories like this :)