Freeview Set-top Box.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I need a small set top box to go on the TV in the bedroom when the digital switchover occurs. It needs to be a nice tiny size so it can be placed on top, and have remote control, the cheaper the better as it won't get much use. A single Scart is fine.

Is there any benefit to paying more?

This Labgear seems to be Amazon's cheapest option:

Labgear LABFV300 Freeview Set-Top Box: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But this Goodmans from ebay is half the price and looks no worse (0bv. factory refurbished):

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I've not trawled very electronics website to save a couple of quid as it's barely worth it at this price, I'm just not quite sure what's what.

Freeview STBs are pretty simple and straightforward, nowt much to go wrong. The Goodmans should be fine.

Theyre all very similar in what they do really, main difference will be the EPG layout and how you personally like using a particular brand.

No point in buying it online, just walk into any currys/comet/etc and you'll find one for about 20 quid, including warranty if anything goes wrong. Maybe even less in their bargain bucket. I bought a small sagem one about a year ago for £1 !!!

Or look here for loads of cheapo ones. Set Top Boxes - Freeview Boxes | Ebuyer.com

No point in buying it online, just walk into any currys/comet/etc and you'll find one for about 20 quid, including warranty if anything goes wrong. Maybe even less in their bargain bucket. I bought a small sagem one about a year ago for £1 !!!

Or look here for loads of cheapo ones. Set Top Boxes - Freeview Boxes | Ebuyer.com

Yup, I got my one from Tesco's, was under £20, and works perfectly for the last 18 months!

tescos i got 1 for £11 works fine does its job

Cheers guys, in actual fact I was talking to a mate about it and he gave me an Alba one he had spare. Sorted.