Replica Alloys

CJ A4

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi guys i have noticed that alot of you have got or bought at some stage replica alloys. I am thinking of getting a set of 18" RS6 reps but after being to the dealer i am worried! He has told me that he has seen enough Audi's coming in to the workshop with wheels which are warped, buckled, and he said a few have even been cracked at the centre which horrified me to be honest! I do drive hard but only when im on my own and as i will have my newly born daughter in the car from time to time i'm not sure now whether to risk it! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The OEM ones are just as likely to buckle as the Reps to be honest mate. Wheels can crack, fracture from over tightening wheel nuts etc too.

Surely all wheels manufactured must have some sort of fatigue testing?

Yeah but dont replicas use a softer metal thats why they are cheaper and more prone to these problems occuring, basically i have safety utmost in mind here!

well i think audi markup considerably on everything they sell to maintain exclusivity and prestige reputation. I dont see that Alloys should be any different and this is a nice way for them to sell you some OEM wheels at a fat price and nice commission.

Replicas might be lighter softer material but if you buy from a reputable source then i cannot see there would be a problem - they will be as likely as OEM wheels to buckle and crack

state of roads in this country everyone should be driving off roaders!

fyi I will be buying some RS4 replicas during the summer for my A3

[ QUOTE ]
ive driven it hard and soft and no problems at all..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've driven my OZ superleggeras in various states of arousal and had no problems so far either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I've had an Audi OEM crack on the inner rim. Must of hit a pothole (or several) only found out because I thought I had a slow puncture, took it into the garage to find a 2" long crack and depression from the inner rim heading towards the center of the wheel.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys i have noticed that alot of you have got or bought at some stage replica alloys

[/ QUOTE ]

and how many of us have posted that the wheels have bucked, collapsed, broken etc etc etc

Being totally honest it is a bit of a grey area as how do you prove good from bad but as you from the lack of rep problems it's not a normal problem.

If you want a guarantee then spend money on the OEM wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif