Driveway gradient problem - Any Civil Engineers out there ?

Shadowman

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at buying a property in the Malvern Hills to set up a Bed & Breakfast business, and we have found a great house but there is a problem.

As you might expect in an area on the Malvern Hills, the house is built on the side of a hill, which gives amazing views but means that the driveway from the front of the house to the rear parking area is approx. 100ft long but drops a good 50ft, making the resulting angle pretty daunting for potential guests !

Does anyone know of a way of reducing the slope of a driveway like this ? I can imagine possibly going down in stages or building up the bottom of the garden ( where the driveway ends and cars are parked ) to reduce the angle but I have no idea about these things ?

Any help or links or ideas greatly appreciated.

Just posting to keep you near the top of the pages in case a civil engineer does happen to drop by.

My personal view is that anything you do will cost a small fortune and I doubt you will get the money back. You could offer Valet parking?

shadowman , where abouts in malvern you looking at? ive designed/installed alot of drives around there, although i dont tend to get involved in the contruction side, i still have friends/ colleges than do.

if you want me or a friend to have a look and possible come up with some ideas then send me a pm, im not promising to have all the solutions but living/working the area helps.

Also your biggest problem wont be the contruction, it will be getting malvern hills district council to agree the ****** planning application if needed, they are dreadfully slow and dont like change lol

Forget it and buy something else. The Disabled Discrimination Act (DDA) don't like anything over 12 degrees, and it will cost you a small fortune.
From the dims you give it sounds the best you could probably achieve is around 22 degrees without completely levelling the car park.

A local Asda installed a travelator at 14 degrees so they could gain a meter or two extra sales space. Once it was noticed they had to change it. The travelator and associated works cost £30k and they had to close the store for nearly a day to do it, and the lost revenue was estimated at £425K an hour.
This doesn't really have a lot to do with your issue, but it shows how strict they are on a few degrees.

Thanks for the replies guys...........I actually have a couple of engineers taking a look for me over this week, so i'll see what they have to say and go from there.....and thanks for the heads-up on Malvern council !!

I'll feed back on how it goes.