leather interiors

ajmackie

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
hi! i have a B5 99 A4.

i've been wanting a leather interior for ages and i'm finally going to do it subject to costs!
What I'm wondering is: -

How much does it cost to get the interior retrimmed in leather?
If I buy a second hand leather interior for my car, will it be warn at about 90k miles of use?
Are the original leather seats much more comfortable than the original cloth seats? Ie are the leather ones much softer / comfy? Are the sports ones dead comfy?
If I get my original ones retrimmed, will they be a lot more comfy?
Is it worth it?! My mate has a 5 series with leather seats and they're soooo comfy!

Thanks for any help, just not sure whether to get a second hand one for £600 which i can sell seperately if i sell my car, or to get my cloth ones retrimmed and be brand new leather but then having to sell them with my car if i did.

also what colour is best?
my original seats are grey and i've got a grey / black interior.
Would install heated seats to whichever i get, but would a light colour get too dirty easily and would a dark colour get too hot/cold?

any suggestions?

Get original seats from a breakers.
I doubt you can get yours retrimmed in leather as the foam is completely different, i.e. leather has to have panels cut into it so prevent it stretching and going all "rouched".
My interior has done 140k miles and the only slight wear is on the drivers seat, on the bit that hugs you (I'm sure its got a name).
Don't know if you can get Recaro's for the A4, but I prefer the non-Recaro sports seats, although they're not as comfy as the leather seats in my wifes A3TS.
Whatever you do don't get cream or grey, it looks really dated. Get black and turn the aircon up.

Thanks for the insight there AndyMac. So the stnadard leather seats are more comfy than the ones with the erm huggers!!
I think I'm going to get original seats as will save money in long run.

I was looking at a car for my mate the other day and I saw an A6 there. Had a peak inside and it had grey leather. Thought it looked quite smart! Agree black is the best but it's just the ouch factor of getting in you car after it has been parked up all day by the beach and your just in your swimming shorts! i can hear my skin sizzling!

[ QUOTE ]

........, on the bit that hugs you (I'm sure its got a name).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bolsters to you too, mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Sorry, AJ, meant to say, leather is just soooooo... cool. Even in the summer, once the air con's been running for a few minutes, it's way more comfortable than cloth. Agree with Andymac, you need to get a replacement set of seats, though. Check all the usual places, including Ebay.

Don't worry too much if they look a bit worn. So long as they're not split right through, you can clean and conditrion them up beautifully with Liquid Leather products, plus any colour cracks can be "colour-washed" with a Liquid Leather Scuff Master kit.

http://www.liquidleather.com/

Good luck!

i spoke to the guy and they're no longer available for sale.
cheers for the feedback guys. defo going to leather me car up!!!

got leather on my 99 ts still lookin good at 78,000 clean mine with baby wipes does the job and looks good.

You can also invest in one of those spring out foil reflectors for the windscreen to prevent the seats getting too hot.
Grey leather looks OK when new but looks terrible when shiny and worn, like grey leather slip ons, not cool.

lol!!!!
i bought them! told you those ones on ebay were sold, but to meeee!!!

got leather handbrake cover, gear knob, gear stick gaitor chucked in too.
is all in very good condition! and it doesn't look anywhere near as light grey as in those pics!
it looks a very very nice dark grey / black! pretty darn pleased!
just need to clean it and condition it now and get new connector for side airbags as they changed them from 2 plugs to 1 plug.
sooooo much more comfy and make car look sooooo much better!!!

no probs! thanks for the help!
got to install the other 3 door cards and then give it a clean and condition!!
will take some pics when finished!!

back to revision now - engineering dynamics - who could have thought control systems and suspension systems could be so mathematical and boring!!!

Nice one matey...... Looks well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

cheers! am over the moon myself as it completely transforms the interior and is well comfier! the middle seat is still as rock hard as ever though!!!!

Yeah i was thinking that too.....i use to be hundreds ahead of him for ages....dedication! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
just changing the topic in true post whore fashion, how on earth have you got 2900 posts tdi!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

(strong scottish accent please)

I'll let you into a secret......

If it was a monday, i'd post in the morning.

If it was a tuesday, i'd post in the afternoon.

If it was a wedneday, i'd post in the evening.

If it was a thursday, i'd post in the night.

If it was a friday, i'd post in the dawn.

If it............

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lol!! always try and keep bits clean! need to put back to black on the rubber tube which the wires run fron the inside to the door! not waxed it so must be the wax in the shampoo!