Are tablets as good as they should be?

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Since taking delivery of a new iPad 2 not long after launch I was hoping for a revelation in online interaction. A world of rich apps and web experiences beckoned, but months after the dust has settled I'm left feeling a bit non plused by the whole deal.

Yes I love the portability, the instant start up /shut down, the instantly available apps, but I find there are some serious downsides.

1) very often you look back at what youve typed and the auto correction decided that what you wanted to write needs to be replaced by something completely different which makes no sense at all - the keyboards are not brilliant either so I had to go and buy a standalone
2) it's much harder to insert images into forums unless you use tapatalk which isn't great for inserting decent sized images into forums
3) they hang and glitch too often
4) the flash issue is just becoming ****ing tedious on apples, I'm bored ****less of it and they need to get a grip if they're not to ruin the web experience for users going forward
5) safari seems to be quite patchy on ios5, and even iWeb sites aren't guaranteed to load successfully anymore
6) the memory management is still **** so I have to reboot to often to free the machine back up
7) dual core a5 processor my ****, I think it still struggles too much with onboard content and within less than a year it's noticeably slower than it was.

Never mind as they will no doubt send me another email saying I need iPad 3 in my life very shortly because iPad 2 is now so last year!

Everyone I speak to seems to speak highly of tablets, but I keep returning to the MacBook with alarming regularity as the tablet just seems hamstrung considering its lofty price tag. Seem more attuned to social media tweeting, email management and facebooking than anything else. A big apple fan, but I'm not loving my pad at all.

Anyone else feel they're style over substance, or am I missing a trick.

EDIT: I've just posted and re-read the thread and there were 8 words that were completely out of context based on what I thought I'd typed! Considering I can pretty much touch type on a normal keypad I'd be inclined to say POS!

Last edited:
maybe i wont buy one lol.

i was thinking tube journeys mon-fri and tapatalk and browsing. but i have a laptop and cant really find or justify a niche fixed with such a heavy price tagged item.

I dont actually need one but it doesnt stop you wanting one does it lol.

might just get the new kindle because theres no web underground anyways.

Agree, given the price of the iPad its just not good enough. There are compromises you can live with for the iPhone, but on a full size device it's hard to live with. I still can't manage my web blog / web site, do proper photo manipulation etc.

For my needs I just can't fault the ipad2. It's quick, convenient, and does 99% of everything I ask of it.

I mainly use it as a travel companion but do use it at home too. I never have any problems with the websites I visit and since installing VLC media player I don't even have to convert my avi/mpg movies before watching.

It is a lot of dough for the machine and if I had to buy it out of my own pocket then I might not have one, but we got freebies at work.

Would I recommend it??? Yep I probably would. It's no replacement for a laptop though.

I am in the technology sector, and can honestly say that the iPad is by far better than any other tablet on the market. Build quality, battery life, east of use, app availability all excellent. The closest rival, Samsung is just lacking in all of the above, and it not a million miles away on price. Yes no flash is annoying, but that will change. Android is too open, and not controlled enough to give a consistent user experience. Geeks like it cause they can 'tweek' it as is basically open source and not locked down like iOS. No a tablet wont replace your MBA or MBP but for home entertainment, or using it for email / web browsing for business it's almost perfect. Used in the correct way a great device.

I bought a HP Touchpad 32gb and love it, not as much as my laptop but it works fine for my use.
Its mainly used when I'm bed cause the laptop is to big and bulky.
1.5 duel core (Can go up to 1.9), no speed issues, duel booting to android and webos.

Yes I love the portability, the instant start up /shut down, the instantly available apps, but I find there are some serious downsides.
That is one of the major selling points of them also the main selling of netbooks.

1) very often you look back at what youve typed and the auto correction decided that what you wanted to write needs to be replaced by something completely different which makes no sense at all - the keyboards are not brilliant either so I had to go and buy a standalone
I think thats the problem with all touch screen keyboards or fat fingers?
Apple is famous for their autocorrection **** ups.
Why don't you turn off auto correction?

2) it's much harder to insert images into forums unless you use tapatalk which isn't great for inserting decent sized images into forums
Don't you have a copy and paste option? Copy link from PB and past in here. Done. Works fine on Android and WebOs
OOOO wait, PB is flash.

3) they hang and glitch too often
Just apple. all ok over here.

4) the flash issue is just becoming ****ing tedious on apples, I'm bored ****less of it and they need to get a grip if they're not to ruin the web experience for users going forward

5) safari seems to be quite patchy on ios5, and even iWeb sites aren't guaranteed to load successfully anymore

6) the memory management is still **** so I have to reboot to often to free the machine back up

7) dual core a5 processor my ****, I think it still struggles too much with onboard content and within less than a year it's noticeably slower than it was.

Everyone I speak to seems to speak highly of tablets, but I keep returning to the MacBook with alarming regularity as the tablet just seems hamstrung considering its lofty price tag. Seem more attuned to social media tweeting, email management and facebooking than anything else. A big apple fan, but I'm not loving my pad at all.

Alot of your complaints seem to be just apple related. Apart from the keyboard.
I don't have any of the above issues when using my phone or tablet.

Did you jump at the iPad cause its Apple and their for must be the best, most advance bit of tech in the world ever and everything else is dog **** on the show of apple?
Or did you research it and take a look at the other tablet options out there?
That might be a very what ever the word is statement. But from talking to people who wants phones, laptops, computers and tablets, they seem to go running blindly for apple products for the above reason.
With no views, research or consideration for any other make/model out there and it really winds me up.

Apple do make very good products and I've considered them many of times but never bought one. Android, WebOs, Ubuntu and Windows do every thing I need on every device I have with out the stupid price tag and restrictions.

Did you jump at the iPad cause its Apple and their for must be the best, most advance bit of tech in the world ever and everything else is dog **** on the show of apple?
Or did you research it and take a look at the other tablet options out there?
That might be a very what ever the word is statement. But from talking to people who wants phones, laptops, computers and tablets, they seem to go running blindly for apple products for the above reason.
With no views, research or consideration for any other make/model out there and it really winds me up.

Apple do make very good products and I've considered them many of times but never bought one. Android, WebOs, Ubuntu and Windows do every thing I need on every device I have with out the stupid price tag and restrictions.

Went for iPad because of the infrastructure. The whole house is wired for Airplay / Apple TV / Time Capsule, and with iCloud / Match it didn't make sense stepping outside the fold. To be honest I've dabbled with other brands and found that whilst they might be better at the odd thing, generally they just feel nasty and the ownership experience is hollow. I think I probably just expect to much of it, and the MacBook Pro which is now 5 years old needs replacing. Just wish I'd spent £600 odd quid towards that instead of the tablet (doh!)

Went for iPad because of the infrastructure. The whole house is wired for Airplay / Apple TV / Time Capsule, and with iCloud / Match it didn't make sense stepping outside the fold.

That makes perfect sense and can't argue with that in any way shape or form.
If I was in the same position, I would not even entertain the idea of going away.

I do feel a prisoner to Apple. I've ben with them since the iMac Indigo G3 back in 2000, but as the portfolio of kit has grown and I've headed down a one way street it does limit my options.

how-to-take-apart-an-imac-g3.jpg

Apple feel like they're creaking a bit as they learn to cope with scale and market share, and now Jobs has gone I'm concerned the attention to detail and reach for the stars attitudes will be diluted with corporate waffle and bull**** but the high prices will stay.

I do feel a prisoner to Apple. I've ben with them since the iMac Indigo G3 back in 2000, but as the portfolio of kit has grown and I've headed down a one way street it does limit my options.

Apple feel like they're creaking a bit as they learn to cope with scale and market share, and now Jobs has gone I'm concerned the attention to detail and reach for the stars attitudes will be diluted with corporate waffle and bull**** but the high prices will stay.

Once reason why I try and go with different makers, it opens up your world a bit more andyour not stuck to one make when trying to buy new tech giving you tunnel vision.
Its fun to play as well. :)

I like apple and like what Jobs done with the company. I'm now a little concerned for apple that the direction will change and greedy CEOs, board members and such will try turning it in to a bigger cash cow and make more money off the name by dropping the quality along with R&D.
Time will tell.

that is also my main concern. its the reason i chose the samsung galaxy s2 over the iphone 4s. i just cant see the progression compared to other competitors.

32gig touchpad myself, only bought due to the price in the fire sale. I'd planned to put android on it but found webos ok & haven't got round to dual booting it. I've been surprised how often I do use it.

I thought the strength of the ipad was the wealth of apps available? Never used one so I can't compare the performance to mine.

32gig touchpad myself, only bought due to the price in the fire sale. I'd planned to put android on it but found webos ok & haven't got round to dual booting it. I've been surprised how often I do use it.

I thought the strength of the ipad was the wealth of apps available? Never used one so I can't compare the performance to mine.

The Touchpad has its speed restricted (no idea why). Its true speed is 1.5.
Get de-restricting. :D

I never really wanted to buy an ipad2, but my son wanted one, and they are only £320 in HK, so I got someone to bring me one over.

Anyways, I share many of Warrens thoughts on ipad2, they are overated, I prefer to use my laptop! Saying that, I have a friend who has made use of his ipad2 functions and customised a few thing, and when I watched him use it, it was pretty awesome, like how they would advertise the product on a launch. So I guess it's just a case of not getting use to it and it's functions from my end.

I've got the iPad 2 and I got given it for work, so luckily haven't parted with my cash. Would I have bought one myself for the same purpose? Probably. But there would have been a lot of umming and arring before I would have. So it wouldn't have been a straight forward decision.

Having said that, it's absolutly perfect for what I need it for. Browsing the web, making notes, e-mails, and the apps that I use for work. So navigational/meteorology/log keeping/sea conditions/tides etc. Along with the odd game. Something light to carry around too to meetings, so for that it is ideal. However it doesn't come without it's problems. All of which Warren has stated!

1) very often you look back at what youve typed and the auto correction decided that what you wanted to write needs to be replaced by something completely different which makes no sense at all

That is a problem that annoys me. The other thing is when you move the cursor to put it back to what you wanted in the first place. It's much easier and user friendly doing this on the HTC than on the iPad

This for me is the single biggest downfall of the iPad. You'd think that with all the millions of iPads sold, Apple would have done something about this already. Especially considering that this is the second iteration of their product.

The browsing experience is the other thing that could be better. When I want to zoom into a website, it does just that which means you have to scroll left to right, as well as up and down. Again, on the HTC it's miles easier because it rearranges the webpage instantly and you can still read it all on the screen.

It's no replacement for a laptop though.

Absolutely spot on!

i do feel for people that assume they're a replacement for a laptop because I thought that was stating the obvious tbh.

I got to use a Samsung Tablet last week, made the ipad2 feel heavy! Touchscreen was as good as ipads surprisingly, and it supports flash! Not a bad device in all honesty, but I won't be buying one soon.

If you had just a wi-fi model could you turn your unlimited data phone into a hotspot and then connect the ipad2 to that connection?

yea i thought it could be done. I knew on android you would more than likely be able too..

Anyone know about Apple?

yea i thought it could be done. I knew on android you would more than likely be able too..

Anyone know about Apple?

The tethering or connecting to a tethered device?

Apply will see the phone as a normal wifi router. so will connect normally.
I think the newer version IOS5 has tethering but not 100%

The Touchpad has its speed restricted (no idea why). Its true speed is 1.5.
Get de-restricting. :D

I believe it was to make the 4G model (rare) seem a bit more up market than just have the extra SIM slot. Mine is running at 1.7 :)

I believe it was to make the 4G model (rare) seem a bit more up market than just have the extra SIM slot. Mine is running at 1.7 :)

Yup. should have done it. stupid ****** leo guy

HP in France got offered the 64gb white version of the tablet.

Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Touchpad. :D

I bought an Archos tablet for one simple reason. I can connect my HDD and watch movies from it. Can you do that with an ipad yet?

Its perhaps not as slick as an ipad, but it was less than 1/3rd of the cost. And does exactly what I need it to do. Watch movies, a little browsing, and reading books.

For everything else, I have my laptop.

I bought an Archos tablet for one simple reason. I can connect my HDD and watch movies from it. Can you do that with an ipad yet?

Its perhaps not as slick as an ipad, but it was less than 1/3rd of the cost. And does exactly what I need it to do. Watch movies, a little browsing, and reading books.

How much is one of these because that is the 3 factors i would want a tablet to secure for me.

Could'nt the xoom do that and another lesser known Andoird one?
It might have been Archos one.

There was another one that had HDMI out put as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for me a hdmi port would be good. Im at uni and i work security atm so being able to watch movies would be a bonus.

Basically what the person above stated he uses his for is essentially what i would like. Ill have a proper look online when i get home but cheers for throwing in your two cents.

iPad ticks the boxes for me,still have a lappy though

I have 3 laptops, and my ipad and archos tablet, ipad wins hands down.

MBP is my weapon of choice, does everything (brilliantly)

I tether my iPhone to my iPad using miwi, and use all flash sites with an app called iswift! Works brilliantly,