Snooper will be illegal from next year?

depends which models you have but the detectors which have lazer scrabblers will be illegal.. but the likes of roadangle will not be band for a few years..

My brother works for the police here in Ireland and I asked him on the Irish legal policy a while back.
Two points to note here:
1) It is illegal to use a radar / lazer detector.
2) It is not illegal to own one.

So if I get stopped or have to spot at check points I just take mine off the dash and put it into the pocket in the door.

Basically anything that "detects" will eventually be outlawed whether it's laser or radar. So GPS systems can't ever be outlawed, unless they outlaw Nav systems as well. However RA2 and similar are in a grey area as they have a laser detector built in, so there would need to be some mechanism to disable this element.
Laser diffusers (or scramblers) have never been legal, but they have now increased the severity of the offence if caught using one.
Detectors are now attracting attention as a feeble reason for the continued increase in road deaths despite the ludicrous misguided safety camera campaigns. i.e. the death toll is still rising because everyone is using detectors to avoid detection. How unbelievably naive are these people? Detectors perform the same useless function as a safety camera, i.e. slowing people down at a supposed accident black spot, so how anyone can conclude that they are reponsible for skewing the figures is beyond me. But while this campaign continues to line the pockets of "safety units" all over the UK, without catching any of the real targets (the uninsured, the unroadworthy and the plain mad bikers) they have to justify it somehow.
The message is clear, if you're p*ssed up driving a clapped out lorry with no insurance, then as long as you don't speed you're perfectly safe, even when you cross the central reservation and take out a family of four (who are probably speeding so deserve it).

The new forward facing digital cameras In London are not able to catch bilkes because the registration plate of a bike is on the rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

oh yes! very clever, and they couldn't even prove it was them as ya can't see their face through the visor!

i had a dream last night about having a ped again! think my wallet / cashflow was trying to tel me summit!!
Used to cost £6 to fill up and i thought that was expensive! little did i know!!!

Truvelo & SPEC's (infrared & digital) both forward facing, as NSD rightly says can't catch bikes even though they are the biggest victim of death on the road (and usually the craziest behaving).

Totally agree with AndyMac.

If lazer/radar detectors are made illegal, it won't stop people owning and using them. Hopefully manufacturers will get clever, separating the sensor(s) from the control unit. i.e. Sensor(s) hidden behind the bumper/grill, control unit tucked away under the dash. I'd buy one straight away.

The thing is, the Police employ unfair tactics in their quest to trap drivers... poorly marked vans, police bikes tucked behind trees or bus shelters, speed camera's in hard-to-see locations. So why shouldn't the general public have some form of protection from these tactics? Yes speeding is breaking the law, but if the police are using unfair tactics, why shouldn't we?!