Packing foam

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Any one know much about the stuff?
Mainly the stuff thats warm and then expands to fill the space/area and once its cooled, its stuck to that shape and rather solid.

Where can you get it, what sizes and erm......any other info really?

Thanks but I don't think it will be any good.
Its likes it for more home insulation then packing.

I should explained what I wanted it for.

I've removed my CD changer from the boot and thinking what else I could put in the space.
One idea is a sub but another idea is to fill with foam or something but when the foam is expanding, insert the odd useful item like a first aid kit or spare bulbs to save them from rattling around.

Ah.wont standard window fitting foam do that?Im sure that when its cured its trimmable etc...most diy shops sell it.Good idea about what you want it for.you would of course have to use greaseproof paper or something to protect the sub etc, cos it sticks like ****

Ah.wont standard window fitting foam do that?Im sure that when its cured its trimmable etc...most diy shops sell it.Good idea about what you want it for.you would of course have to use greaseproof paper or something to protect the sub etc, cos it sticks like ****

I did think of that but the heat and stickiness of it put me off.
I like the idea of the packing foam cause it comes in its own bags and should be less damaging if touches any thing and more controllable.

Hmmm expanding foam in a Tesco bag?

Scottyou could always fab up some kind of compartment/ loose item holder and foam that in place then just slipp your loose items inside that.

Scottyou could always fab up some kind of compartment/ loose item holder and foam that in place then just slipp your loose items inside that.

I could but thaT's boring.
Packing foam expanded to the shape and size of item is so much more appealing and different.

And we all know your different ;)

How about resin/ fibreglass or injection moulding. Be a bit more of a job but would look amazing, and be perfectly smooth.

a mate of mine used fibreglass in his old mk2 golf boot space, started on a piece of marine ply and just built it up to the shape he wanted then had his shocks spanner, BBS Spanner and a few other tools moulded into the top layers, then sanded it all down and sprayed it up, it looked realy good, I'll try find out how exactly he did it if I can get hold of him as not spoke for a while... surely youtube will throw up something.

a mate of mine used fibreglass in his old mk2 golf boot space, started on a piece of marine ply and just built it up to the shape he wanted then had his shocks spanner, BBS Spanner and a few other tools moulded into the top layers, then sanded it all down and sprayed it up, it looked realy good, I'll try find out how exactly he did it if I can get hold of him as not spoke for a while... surely youtube will throw up something.

Trolling you tube at the moment.