What can be done with a little elbow grease....

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Mate of mine calls me last sat and says "come up the yard I need you to look at something". Get up there, he has a MkII Golf with the worst oxidised paint I have ever seen. He got the car as a "take it away and scrap it for me" thing - it hadn't started for 18months and the body was as flat as a pancake. 10 minutes after unloading it, 1/2 gallon of fresh juice and it fires up, runs as sweet as a nut. So, he asks "Can you do anything with the paint?"......
Before 1
Before 2
Before 3
Before 4

So, I have a quick look round, can't find the mop, so start work by hand. An afternoon later:
After 1
After 2
After 3
After 4

It's still not perfect - some of the panels need a going over with the mop (when I can find it) but just goes to show........

Makes it all worth while dont it! Red is ****** murder for oxidising though!

[ QUOTE ]
That is seriously impressive! What were you using?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, nothing fancy - I didn't want to "waste" the good stuff on something that might not improve that much.....

I didn't have any of my gear with me, so I searched the lockup and found some of that nasty red coloured polish, some G3 rubbing compound, and some machine polish which was probably off as it had separated, but mixed it up and it was ok.

Bonnet, roof, NS front wing and all the door centre swages need doing with the mop (this weekend probably) then a quick coat of wax to stop it coming through so quick, then out it for whatever we can get for it.

The interior is absolutely spotless though - and it has done 90k - FSH, 2 owners.... not a bad car for a runaround.

Quick question as i dont have a clue here but, what is the "MOP"? or am i just being stupid?

I prefered it before..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question as i dont have a clue here but, what is the "MOP"? or am i just being stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

mop.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Seriously - it's an electric or air powered polishing tool, a bit like an orbital sander with a sponge or cloth soft head. The head rotates and "orbits" IE it rotates on two planes, therefore lowering the chances of getting swirl scratches in the paint, something like this:

MM000310610ch.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mop.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mint - PMSL - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

A very nice job and what a difference - well done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I prefered it before..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that why you are such a red car lover then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hey...Man!! It's red... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (In the best jamaican accent he can muster...)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey...Man!! It's red... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (In the best jamaican accent he can muster...)

[/ QUOTE ]

So, not very good, then
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Was that in the same accent JDP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, not very good, then
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Arf! Arf! Yeah...your right again he..he! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

red is hard work, i had 2 corsa sri's in red, 1 of um didnt look quite as bad as that but a lot of hard work they do come up nice.

i wouldnt have another red car thopugh too much hard work