So, when does it become automatic?

bravepilot

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry I've not been posting for a while, I have actually been doing work [shock, horror!]

I have a quick question though, my wife is thinking of getting an auto driving licence rather than the full shabang, but what does this entitle her to drive? Does DSG count as it doesn't have a clutch... I'd like to think I would still have use of gears, even if we get a joint car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all, sorry I've not been posting for a while, I have actually been doing work [shock, horror!]

I have a quick question though, my wife is thinking of getting an auto driving licence rather than the full shabang, but what does this entitle her to drive? Does DSG count as it doesn't have a clutch... I'd like to think I would still have use of gears, even if we get a joint car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really not go for an automatic licence..its so limiting on what you can drive!

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me what the point of a clutch pedal is any more?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif very funny, and quite true, but stop veering off the subject at hand...

what waas the subject again?

Oh yeah I remember...Brave Pilots missus cant handle a knob in the car! I mean gearstick.

I would probably say DSG would be fine but the best people to ask would be the DVLA. Maybe there is some information on their site.

Regards and welcome back BP.

Well it's got two pedals, stop and go, therefore automatic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My mrs DID pass her test in a manual, but about a year later she got an automatic.. and she now refuses point blank under any circumstances to drive a manual again..
Yes its a pain sometimes, but it hasnt proved as restrictive as I thought it would.. She states now that in retrospect she could have got through her test quicker, easier and cheaper than the manual one..

Tough call.. You could always get her driving in an auto, quickly and easily, (and yes DSG counts as auto), let her develop a couple of years of 'road sense' and then talk her into a manual test at a later date when it would be easier...

After an extensive battle with Admiral insurance over the M3 SMGII I can offer the following advice. (auto = 100 quid saving)

As far as the DVLA goes it's whatever the car manufacturer saids it is so the BM was a sequential MANUAL gearbox and the DVLA told me it would be illegal to drive it on an auto licence.

BUT I am also am IAM observer (instructor) and put this question to our police examiner, a very experienced man of many years in the force who said that anything without a clutch peddle was an auto in the eyes of the police. Since the only people who would have a problem with you or anyone driving on an auto licence would be the police I would assume that the police would class both the DSG and SMGII boxes as manual.

If someone can't handle a manual gearbox (other than through disability) then you sort of question whether they should be driving a car at all.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone can't handle a manual gearbox (other than through disability) then you sort of question whether they should be driving a car at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit like saying that because I don't totally understand the Consumer Credit Act 1974, maybe I shouldn't be practising law at all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's listed as automatic on my V5 and to be honest as it dosen't have a clutch pedal and traditional gear shift pattern to learn then it can be driven by someone on an automatic license.

Ummm nice analogy Jeff.
My point, which is pretty obvious, is that if a perfectly abled bodied person can't coordinate their left leg and left arm at the same time then I would seriously doubt how adept they're gonna be when it comes to coordinating the brake and steering wheel or indicator, brake & steering wheel, or brain & eyes etc.
If you're ability as a driver is so borderline that you feel it necessary to make the driving test even easier, then I really don't want you cluttering up the roads for people who have actually mastered the complex gearchange process.
What next? A driving test that doesn't include parallel parking for people with 4x4's?
One that excludes 3 point turn for Smart car owners?
Crossing the central reservation safely for HGV drivers?
A pilots licence that excludes taking off or landing? "'cause that's a bit tricky so I usually panic"
I think the quality of driving in this country speaks for itself and we should be making the driving test a lot harder & stop this ludicrous notion that it is a god given right for any incompetant fool to get behind the wheel.

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm nice analogy Jeff.
My point, which is pretty obvious, is that if a perfectly abled bodied person can't coordinate their left leg and left arm at the same time then I would seriously doubt how adept they're gonna be when it comes to coordinating the brake and steering wheel or indicator, brake & steering wheel, or brain & eyes etc.
If you're ability as a driver is so borderline that you feel it necessary to make the driving test even easier, then I really don't want you cluttering up the roads for people who have actually mastered the complex gearchange process.
What next? A driving test that doesn't include parallel parking for people with 4x4's?
One that excludes 3 point turn for Smart car owners?
Crossing the central reservation safely for HGV drivers?
A pilots licence that excludes taking off or landing? "'cause that's a bit tricky so I usually panic"
I think the quality of driving in this country speaks for itself and we should be making the driving test a lot harder & stop this ludicrous notion that it is a god given right for any incompetant fool to get behind the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - BMW drivers still have to indicate on the test....

lol!! when i passed my test 5 years ago or summit (scary as only seems a few years ago!) I couldn't drive! The lessons don't actually teach you hoe to drive normally, just stupidly nervously and precautiously!!!

[ QUOTE ]
lol!! when i passed my test 5 years ago or summit (scary as only seems a few years ago!) I couldn't drive! The lessons don't actually teach you hoe to drive normally, just stupidly nervously and precautiously!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My Grandad used to say that passing your driving test was being given the ability to learn to drive.... and now I have been driving for a number of years (not going to say how many in danger of making myself look old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) it's true - you only really learn to drive after you have passed your test. I knew a girl (yes, I knew one once) who thought the best way to pass was to take the test, see what you fail on, then brush up on that..... she passed, with no lessons at all..... SCARY.

All very useful stuff guys... but still don't think I'm any the wiser really... ho hum

Thanks for the welcome back NSD!

Just a thought... maybe beemer drivers think that the indicator is automatic along with everything else???

Entirely agree with the fact the you only start learning how to really drive AFTER you have passed your test. Isn't this what the IAM is all about? Must take my IAM as well... any observers on here who do it in Herts?

[ QUOTE ]
All very useful stuff guys... but still don't think I'm any the wiser really... ho hum

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I guess we did rather wander off the point. I wonder whether a call to the DVLA is the only answer.

Don't the vast majority of autos in Audis, Beemers etc. now have a manual overide?
An Rs6 comes with auto as standard, but you can change the gears yourself if you want, SMG or DSG is supposed to be a bit more aimed at "drivers" or people wanting to change gear themselves, but essentially what's the difference? They just have different mechanicals, but essentially the same controls???

[ QUOTE ]
Don't the vast majority of autos in Audis, Beemers etc. now have a manual overide?
An Rs6 comes with auto as standard, but you can change the gears yourself if you want, SMG or DSG is supposed to be a bit more aimed at "drivers" or people wanting to change gear themselves, but essentially what's the difference? They just have different mechanicals, but essentially the same controls???

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, the difference is the absence of a clutch pedal.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not E mail AUDI and ask them does there car come under auto or manual???
personaly im with the gang if it doesnt have a clutch pedal its a auto !

[/ QUOTE ]

But, technically it's an automatic clutch, not an automatic gearbox isn't it?

Check the log book - surely if it states "Transmission = Automatic", then this is clearly a legal get out clause if anyone (police) etc questions it.

On the audi website when configuring a new car, if you press the automatic transmission selection, no DSG cars will be selected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Audi configurator

Yes, I doubt you'd get away with driving an Enzo with an automatic only licence.

arent they defined as semi-automatic gearboxs? i.e not fully automatic and hence you would require a manual license? (not statements but questions)

dvla - must have the answer as these boxes have been out for a while.

i'll ask my mates bro who sells vauxhalls for arnold clark whether you can drive their version of dsg corsas with an auto licence. they get training on all that kinda rubbish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My point was that there's no clutch, so I doubt this can be used to define automatic.

[ QUOTE ]
arent they defined as semi-automatic gearboxs? i.e not fully automatic and hence you would require a manual license? (not statements but questions)

dvla - must have the answer as these boxes have been out for a while.

i'll ask my mates bro who sells vauxhalls for arnold clark whether you can drive their version of dsg corsas with an auto licence. they get training on all that kinda rubbish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers mate, that would be most kind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif