would you have?

Not sure.
I guess it depends on a number of factors for me.
How visibly is it? - I would not want some massive camera or recording taking up space on my dash, glove box or boot.
How much will it cost? - Is it a one off cost for the equipment, then another cost fitting and I wonder what would happen if I swap cars.
How will it be wired in to my car? - I don't want some YTS ripping my car apart to wiring it in.
How much will it save me on my insurance? - if the cost is more than I'd say or about the same, then I can't see much point.
How much information will it take and store for how long? - film my trip but not my location, conversations or driving habits.

Is it something like one of them driving boxes that learners are being offered?

Not for me.

I can visualise having a no-fault collision, and the insurance company trawling back through the last x hours of footage and refusing to pay because you've been observed at 31mph in a 30mph limit.

I share the same views of the above really, I wouldn't really wanting anyone knowing how I drive or where I am even, so things are fine the way it is now.

I can see the point - there are so many people trying scams atm that having some proper footage of what happened could be useful. Then again, as folks have said, bet it could be manipulated against you.

I've been toying with the idea of a helmet cam whilst out cycling, again for my own protection.

Hmm iv not heard of that before. My friend wanted to have the 'insure-a-box' type thing fitted, which tracks you, and measures yours acceleration, braking and cornering... And they reward you for sensible driving... I didn't like the idea of that, a camera is way too much!

Off topic slightly, but insurance should be government run and added to the cost of fuel, that way we won't be paying for all the drivers out there who don't insure or tax there vehicles, and very few people would be able to get around it, as everybody need fuel (unless you make your own)

Reactions: Keeno
Depending on how big camera was because if it's to big then after going through all the insurance details and waiting for ages for them to say they aren't gonna pay out because there was a massive camera obstructing the view through the windscreen would be a p**s take a bit

Not for me thanks. As people have said above sometimes my right foot gets ticklish. Or maybe I like to show the corsa with the big exhaust what a real car can do. Wouldn't want anyone seeing that!

there realy small on the mirror inside
id never have 1
if the cops say it they could look at the footage accident or not id be ****ed

the ones that are on the market place that the insurance companies are looking at are screen mounted sucker type fitting that can be taken from car to car, thay take up less room than a Tom Tom and only record upto 30 mins and them re-write over that recording, from my understanding its in combat to the "Crash 4 Cash" drivers out there and not about how fast or slow we drive,

The reason why i asked this as im in talks with a major insurance company who are looking to buy these types of cameras and offer them for free to there customers in return for lower premiums, its been made very clear that the "crash 4 cash" set ups are on the rise at such a rate as its classed as easy money and when the scammers are putting a "No Claims Protection" on there deals and then having many crashies with multi cars involvced and taking the blame on the roadside and getting £1000 per person per car you can start to see that whacking one car into the back of 2 cars can earn a man £10k for a days work!

This cost is handed down to you and I !

Now what is your views ?

Crash 4 Crash?

You hit someone and they hit you and share the money?

Be interesting to see how much it lowers the insurance and what they are really like.
Links to products or images?

my view stays i wouldnt have 1 fitted even if they paid me to
i wouldnt risk geting pulled over and the police view the footage
anyway most crash for cash happend from the rear wouldnt help you at all

my view stays i wouldnt have 1 fitted even if they paid me to
i wouldnt risk geting pulled over and the police view the footage
anyway most crash for cash happend from the rear wouldnt help you at all

The "Crash 4 Cash" scam is when YOU are forced to hit someone up the rear mate and causing your insurance to go up!

still wouldnt like i said the police can view the footage and **** the driver over
i use gopro on bikes and track
iv been asked to hane it over a few times
thats why id never use a cam ever again unless on the track

I fit windscreens for a big haulage company around my area. They have the cameras fitter to them.

They work on a impact sensor. So if the driver is forced to slam the brakes on, swerve or hit something then it starts recording.

I think its a good idea for waggons and busses etc. But not for me in the car. There's also cameras that record mileage to prove that your not driving over the mileage stated on your insurace, to bump the premiums down a bit.

yeah most new hgv use them and also they watch you aswell as the road to prove you wasnt useing phones etc or falling asleep

well watch this space folks as this "IS" what the insurance companies are pushing for, its not going to be some some time yet as they are so tight on how much they are willing to pay for the said units that nobody will sell them to them for a 0.5p profit per unit, these units can be made and sold for £3 each and yet they are still crying at that!

Until they become mandatory I wouldn't fit one.

If they gain public acceptance and premiums drop then hopefully we'll all benefit whether we have one or not.

Hmm iv not heard of that before. My friend wanted to have the 'insure-a-box' type thing fitted, which tracks you, and measures yours acceleration, braking and cornering... And they reward you for sensible driving... I didn't like the idea of that, a camera is way too much!

Surely a box that tracks your location, recording and measuring your speed/acceleration etc. is far more instrusive than a camera that simply looks out through the windscreen??

If its just a camera, no mic, tracking of any sort and it lowered my insurance and I could fit with out it being to distracting.
I'd have one.
Can't see what harm a camera could do.

Get one of them Micro DV cameras and build it in to the rear view mirror.

i've considered putting a camera on my dash, and i do think its a good idea. if you're in a crash thats not your fault, and the other motorist says otherwise, you provide your insurance with the relevant clip and nothing more. if the footage is unfavourable in any way, you simply neglect the fact you have a dash cam and your back where you would have been anyway. obviously if you then go posting footage of yourself driving like a fud on youtube you're just asking for trouble.

i dont think it should be mandatory, but i dont see how having one voluntarily can be bad in any way. i've been looking to invest in a Go-Pro HD for some time now, this is just the excuse i need! :whistle2: