2012 MOT problems for HID Lights, got a conversion?

We knew it was coming.....

Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose

"It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

right so stiffen up the suspension and fit a full roll cage in the car... no auto-levellers needed :p

"It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

Thats such vague wording, what defines a "high performance vehicle" in that situation....?

well they did narrow it by saying it would have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension... most Porsche would fall in that category

Will this stop chavs in ****boxes blinding me with blue headlights?

Will this stop chavs in ****boxes blinding me with blue headlights?

I don't know about that but it might stop the ****** in Audi's thinking everybody is a chav in an inferior car?

I've got HID's, are you saying I am a chav with a ****box car?

Reactions: marknjayne
I don't know about that but it might stop the ****** in Audi's thinking everybody is a chav in an inferior car?

You might not want to know the answer to that.

EDIT: Jojo is being blunt, so I might as well be to. Yes, I believe it to be true.

Last edited:
i've asked a few different MOT testers about the new laws, just like the no remap law aswell. half of them don't know the HID laws anyways. so not to worry IMO

i'm so happy i have my auto dimming mirror on the car now, dont need to get blinded my chavs with ****box cars that have mis-aligned HIDs

I dont have an AUDI.

But if you meet the criteria in my post then yes, you are a chav.

If you dont, you might still be.:laugh:

Last edited:
In fairness if it does reduce the amount of people who fit HID's in reflector lensed headlights than it can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

its about time the after market set up was looked at,

I'm feed up of being blinded by poorly fitted HID kits in ANY car,

when you look into this whole set up like i have done in the past, you tend to find that the HID burn at such a rate that the heat generated by them starts to melt the inside of the head lamp unit over time, Iv personally seen the silver liners flake off inside head light units, the inner side of the head light lenses loses its sharp clearness, Iv also seen the wires get heated and melted backwards causing bare wires to be exposed, on one car i even see the light switch melted internally,

I say that if you want HID's then do one of the following, get them installed properly with all the extra bits needed, Or just buy a car that has them fitted from the factory.