Insurance / Legal Help

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few peeps on ASN that work in the car insurance industry and i'm tryin to prempt a potentialy nasty situation that may arise.

The background is, I sit on the commitee of my local football team and this weekend whilst paying a match the team's changing rooms were completely turned over and a vast amount of possesions were stolen, incluing mobile phones, wallets, keys, wedding rings, watches, the lot.
To make matters worse, they also made off with a couple of the players cars, including a brand new Golf GTi and a 3 series BMW.

Obviosuly the police were called and statements provided and it transpires that the chaging rooms were not locked. The people that own and run the social club in which the chnaging rooms are situated claim no respsonsibility for ensuring the rooms are locked during a game and that the key is left with a member of the team for this reason.

We could go on a witch hunt but no memeber of the team is interested in finding a culprit although I suspect this may change.

I'm wodering if and when the owners of the 2 cars that were stolen file their claims with their respective insurance company and the police report is provided stating that the changing rooms were not locked, whether this is likely to invalidate their right to claim for the loss. If so, then it also begs the question if they have a legal right of recourse against the person that should have locked the changing rooms, potentially even suing the football club?

To add insult to injury, my tenant is also a player on the team so i've had fun with locksmiths this weekend too and ruined my Sunday double whammy!

Any ideas appreciated if there are any lawyers/solicitors in the mix.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
I doubt the person who "should've" locked the changing rooms is liable for anything. Possessions are usually left at the owner's risk, unless otherwise indicated, and even then I reckon it'd be pretty hard to successfully sue someone for it.

As for whether or not the people who had their cars stolen will be able to claim from their insurers... i'm not sure. Wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company initially says they have invalidated their policy by leaving their keys in an unlocked room though. Whether they'll stick to that once the 'fight' gets going is another matter.

Have a look on the financial ombudsman website. There are a lot of example cases of insurers refusing to pay out on car thefts using the car's keys, and the eventual outcomes.

Was everything locked in lockers, eg changing rooms open, but possesions in lockers?

They may get lucky if it was locked here, however there is a strong possibility now that as it was unlocked, they may not get anything, however dont quote me on that.

It would be wise for car owners to get in touch with their insurance pretty quick to keep them upto date on what has happened and let them decide on how to progress this.

No lockers provided in the changing rooms, just your old school hooks on the wall.

I'm sure the lads affected are dealing with the insurance on their vehicles. I was just trying to think of any risks that might come back and bite the club in the but and check we're insured too.

Obviously it's difficult as we've got to think of both the players as indivuduals and the club as a whole (which is a money making concern) which in this case is a bit of a conflict, but we'll deal with it i'm sure.

Cheers

Sounds like a sad day all round :(

I'd like to say it's no different to if the keys were taken in a dwelling burglary. If you're in your back garden, and someone comes in through the front door then insurance would still pay, as you're still resident in the property so there's no requirement to lock the house.

Poetic licence as to the changing room being near the pitch and monitored etc..

I think you can extend contents insurance to cover loss or theft when not on the insured premises but you would be asked to show reasonable care and leaving valuables in an unlocked dressing room seems too risky