Owen hits back at Azerbaijan jibe

I

imported_Yaseen

But Owen said: "If he checks my pre-match quotes he will realise that I never said anything about scoring five goals - I'd never be so disrespectful.

"But he'd be perfectly within his rights to criticise my performance - I've certainly had better games."

In a statement Owen added: "Fortunately I am a mentally strong person and believe I will learn from the experience and continue to improve as a player and person because of it."

Oi Owen- stop being such a wuss!! The coaches quotes include:

"He ought to clean his tongue and wash the boots of David Beckham as they are so wet tonight."

"Who is he anyway? "

"hope he is back on the bench when Real Madrid play this weekend."

And that was published in the media worldwide- and that the best Owen can defend himself with? what a coward. Id have hit back much better- The guy called you a midget for gods sakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Definately well past his peak, and what the f*ck is Heskey still doing in the squad?
I thought this was football not a donkey derby. Roll on Peter Crouch, 6'7" ideal for the Beckham corners against all the midget sides like Italia.
Totally agree with IanL-S3, had the misfortune to catch some of that fly on the wall doc with Owen a while back and he is the Steve Davis of football, but then most sports "personalities" are boring as f*ck, look at Shearer/Coulthard etc. why else would they have so much time to practice?

[ QUOTE ]
Definately well past his peak,

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooo! Owen was never the player who scored that Argentina goal- it was only one of a few goals he has scored with that type of inspiration.

He has always been primarily a poacher so is not past his best at all. He is 25 and won`t reach his peak till 27ish. His display on Wed was simply due to him not playing enough for Real (where he scoring ratio as a sub is on par with anyone!).

He is still the best goalscorer we have when on form.