Any IT bods I need help

macpdm

Reaction score
Afternoon all

I need help I purchased an Epson GT-S55N network scanner for our small office but I am having all sorts of problems trying to get it to work. We have found out that each user must connect then disconnect because it has no queuing facility like a network printer. Epson tell me that all of their scanners are the same. In addition everytime I connect through scan manager then click on the epson icon on my desktop to scan a doc I get a window saying the scanner cannot be started ?

The supplier has agreed to take the scanner back by the way.

Any help gratefully received.

We use a normal HP flatbed scanner with auto feed, connected to an old PC via USB.
The default location for scans is a folder called 'scanner' on the attached PC's hard drive, and I have shared this folder and then mapped a network drive to this 'scanner' folder on each person's PC. This way everybody can pick up their scans from their own PC by browsing to that network drive.

For a small office this is probably the easiest and cheapest way of sharing a scanner (as long as you have a spare or available PC laying around)

Thanks ads I believe I do have an old PC laying about I could use.Im disappointed though in our IT contractor who we pay to come up with solutions like this.

I'm not familiar with this particular device but for the price you would expect something simple to use. Brother do a great range of multi function devices that are fantastic for network scanning. Its as simple as either faxing from the devices LCD screen, sending it direct to your mailbox, or you can initiate a scan over the network from your PC (plus it can copy, fax and print as an added bonus)

And if you need a new IT contractor, my companies website is IT Support Northamptonshire, Support Contract, Pay-As-You-Go IT Services :)

i agree with ads on this one, as scanning wont be used as much as printing.
in our offices we always set up the scanners to scan to a folder that is shared over the network. now the folder is usually stored on a network drive so there is not really any further permission work needed to be created and the folder is emptied every month as the images can build up to quiet a large amount.
to be honest mate its not the best solution but its pretty much IT standard to set it up that way, so i too am surprised that your IT tech didnt set it up that way. why on earth you would need a queuing system for a scanner makes no sense to me :s

we have all in one photocopiers at work they act as a scanner, printer and photocopier connected to the network. You can also password protect documents so they only print when you are at the copier via the passcode.