JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Help with leaking soil pipe

Afternoon all

I have a problem I could really do with some help with please guys.Our home is a shared property and about 5yrs old.Maybe 1 - 2yrs ago We had an issue with a leaking upstairs toilet wastepipe which was repaired and the ceiling replastered and repainted.Now the problem is back again im guessing because of poor installation and the ceiling will probably have to be repaired again.In fairness to the property management people they organised and covered the costs on the first occasion but they dont appear to want to know on this occasion.Can I take this up with NHBC or any other body to get this fixed once and for all.Or do I have to suck it up and cover the costs of repair myself ?

Thanks all

2. # ADS
    ADS

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Surely that should be covered under a 10 year NHBC warranty, I would look further into that, also may be worth contactig your home insurance to see if its covered.

Maybe worth getting in touch with the Citizens Advice Bureau and see if they can help at all or advise on the best cause of action for you to take.

Hope you get it sorted.

6th Gear

Status
    You have a leak, you need to get a plumber out to stop it.

Once a plumber has been out, they can advise you whether it is an installation problem, or just a bit of bad luck that affects us all from time to time. If it is an installation issue, then you can take it up with the home builder, then the NHBC.

Thing is, the damage caused by the leak is covered under your buildings insurance, and that I assume is arranged by the management company. So they need to be a little more helpful than they appear to have been.

So, you need to get the problem fixed, the insurance will pay to repair the damage caused by the leak, and then you can take up the issue of why it is leaking with the builders/management company/NHBC if the plumber says it is a build problem, not just an unlucky leak.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers guys

Plumber has been and has repaired the problem which he believes should resolve it although he was very unimpressed with the install.I have spoken to the ombudsman who has advised me to obtain a copy of the complaints procedure from the management company.I have done this which seems to have put the willys up em especially when they asked why I wanted a copy.