Makes me mad when.......!!!!

jaymarwa

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
After a lovely few days in South wales with Mrs baldy, just made the journey from Swansea to London on the M4 early part of this morning ......driving conditions were pretty bad - driving rain, very poor visibility (less than 50m-75m - needed fogs on most of the time). There had been a bad accident between j17 -j15 eastbound - buliding supplies lorry had crashed through the central reservation and smashed into car on opposite carriageway.

Despite this, what got me after was:

1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Why the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif some drivers continued to tailgate/or didnt allow appropriate distance between themselves and the car ahead.

2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Why if its wet, there is standing water and you cant see past your nose, you cant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif slow down!!! I can't judge exactly what speed these drivers were doing but it certainly wasn't a safe speed for the road no matter how experienced they are.

3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Why people think that simply because they indicate they can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif change lanes etc

4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif As i come to finish my journey and get near home, some kid on his /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif scooter with his /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif L plates on who is still buckling up his helmet!!! pulls out in front of me from the centre crossing on a dual carriageway!!! I'm doing 40 (speed limit). I am not a violent person and normally let things pass but I reacted with signage etc and at one point considered chasing him and sticking his L plate where the sun don't shine. Anyway no harm done.

What I deduce from the above is:

1 The law in this country is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif stupid as anyone can with a licence can stick a L Plate on a scooter and start riding around without little or any formal training. Most of the pizza/takeaway delivery guys qualify in this category.

2. The driving test is crap - how can you allow a driver on to the roads without motorway training!!

I am far from being a perfect driver and am probably guilty of common misdemeanours but I care about the way I drive (I am currently udnertaking advanced driver training) and try to apply a little bit of common sense. Rant over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif.

I leave you with a final question?

how/what do you think we (as audi-sport.net members) can do to improve driving standards on our roads? (and no - shooting all BMW drivers is not allowed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif! - (no offence BMW owners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif))

I hate to say it there is nothing much that you can do ,The law takes in to concedaration when someone passes there test these days if they get in to an accident in a certain amount of time they have to sit there test again or get points they sit there test again,the insurance is through the roof for beginners,the only thing that i think that people have talk about is were you have some sort of GPS system located in your car and if you speed or if drive in condition that are bad they can pick this up and you get on the spot fine ,but that would be awful imagine going anywhere and somebody knowing your every move (no thanks)

Or out of the box idea here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

When they build new roads from now on they put magnetic plates below the tar and have sensors on the barriers that pick speed up of cars/lorrys going past and put charge through the plates when someone is speeding and with the charge creating greater magnetic field there for slowing the car down drawning it to the ground

And yes shooting all BMW drivers mmmm that could maybe help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]

2. The driving test is crap - how can you allow a driver on to the roads without motorway training!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That one in particular I feel very strongly about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Stupid DVLA- amazing haven`t got round do sorting this!

[ QUOTE ]
The MOT is a joke, every 5-10 years every car should be subject to a very stringent technical inspection which shoud be ****** expensive. This will cull all the old sh*t that people seem to think passes as a roadworthy vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, doesnt Japan do something along these lines with mega-strict emissions tests? Hence the large amount of imported scoobies, evos, ftos etc etc that flooded here during the 90's?

[ QUOTE ]
HGV's should just be written off after 10 years as they present the biggest danger on our roads, and do the most miles. Do you think the law would allow me to take my car on the road with the same hopeless stopping distance of the average fully loaded HGV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree, I think *most* hgv drivers are better drivers than the majority of other road users, yeah you get the odd pillock blocking a motorway while overtaking but by and large they are more likely to let you on and off a motorway and be more curtious than a lot of other ucnts that are out there...

Also, the maximium weight an HGV can carry is in proportion to the axles and breaking distance, if a driver goes out on the road with an overloaded lorry then hes risking a large fine and the loss of his license, the Law lays responsibility for a load on the driver and not the company, person that loaded it...

Also, chances are that if an accident should occur, an HGV driver would see it happening further up the road and thus be able to react more quickly than an overloaded car driver...

[ QUOTE ]
Hampshire police did an HGV stop & check on the M27 last week and over half the lorries weren't roadworthy, tyres and brakes were the main culprit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how many of these lorries were taken off the road THAT day? Probably not many which begs the question, why pull a wagon over, deem it unfit for the road and let it go on its way with some sort of warning or 'Producer'? Sounds like the boys in blue had a quiet day out with bbc radio humberside

[ QUOTE ]
I could go on (and usually do) but I've got letters to write to Points of View.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Drove to Nottingham (been visitng relatives in UK) today to pick up an engine, UK roads are getting worse, everyone at AS.net has my sympathies....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

That was all mostly IMHO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

Hi
Can I put yet another point of view,as a religous instuction adviser ( lorry driver ) I could
on a normal day send at least 10 drivers to the m25 in the sky,7 BMW 1FORD 2CLIO
but I dont Why ,because if I and every other Hgv driver did after 2weeks we would have no one to deliver to?? More serious note, you werent far wrong about the sensors in the road, all the road works on the M4 last year Were sensors being put in next to bridges, so the profit police
can turn up plug in there cameras on the bridge and go to sleep ,safe in the knowledge that
money is being made for there wages???

Andymac i totally agree but fundamentally until our public transport system gets a complete overhaul and is deemed efficient, clean and stress free which in turn will make more drivers take alternative means to get to work or where ever, then things will just get worse until the UK roads are one big gridlock which aint far off! I know even with a fantastic public transport system alot of people will still choose their own vehicles. I am one of these people but as you say hopefully in the near future MOT and stricter vehicle testing for older motors will be introduced which should at least lessen the number of potential death traps on our roads and we will be one step closer but with many more to take, in getting our roads decongested and safer for everyone to drive on.