Credit Reference Agencies - Whats hidden in your record?

Muckypaws

Reaction score
This weekend past I decided I would look at my credit records, and you can now do this online.. anyway, I got one from Experian and the other from Equifax.. both showed things that shouldn't have been there! including default notices and missed payments that were untrue.. some against my mortgage which apparently isnt good.

The Experian service lets you do a score on yourself, the same a credit card company would see I guess which they charge 4.99 for (Seperate from credit record)

Anyway.. Experian are offering 1 months free access to your credit records (They want £50 for a years access, first 30 days is free, then you can cancel if you dont want to without charge - so get your record then cancel if you dont want to keep it open)

Anyway.. take a look, its interesting to see who is buggering your record...

Experian Credit Expert

Or..

Equifax

If you do keep the annual sub with Experian they alert you when things change so you can keep on top of it.. ok its a bit of a cheek having to pay for your information, but I think personally its very useful, especially if you are thinking of financing a car.

BTW.. this is UK only

It is usefull a while ago i sent off for my credit rating and history they sent back thepast 8years records from present addres and old one thing there is it also said i missed or made late payments on visa bills, it also went into detail of how much i owed on car loan or visa bills which had been paid and then details of how much i've got in my bank account and my parents bank aswell as what they've got and paying out for down to the last few pence, somehow i dont think its right if credit company's can find out that kind of information that easily about personal details yes to check if payments are been made on time but how much is in your current account no.

Yeah! years ago, when I was younger (cough cough) I used to think that as I could get away with not paying monthly payments I was saving myself money... of course, then I didnt realise how much detail these things have.. every missed payment for 7 years or something.. ug...

Good thing is ive managed to get a load taken off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I work for a finance company and we use both Equifax and Experian. We get to see exactly what you see when you get a copy of your credit report; i.e. credit card limit, current balance and the payment profile (good or bad) since the account was opened. Same applies to mortgages, loans, HP, mobile phone etc and in some cases electricity and gas bills.
The system also leaves a footprint every time you move house to make tracing people easier.

The system has advanced so much in the last couple of years the amount of info is amazing but also worrying.

It really is worth getting a copy of your file every six months as the amount of fraudulent accounts that are opened is frightening.

Also ensure that all info that comes addressed to you (ESPECIALLY any credit card applications that come from people like Capital One) is shreddded. Ripping up is not sufficient. Not trying to put people on a paranoid tip but I see fraudulent attempts to obtain credit on people's files regularly. When you tell them that they have been turned down and they ask why and I explain its due to XYZ account they deny all knowledge of it. You can tell that the majority of the time it is genuine as the rest of their accounts will be paid on time.

Be vigilant to stop these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

NIce one Booster.. it really is scarey, and nice to see these companies finally letting us see more information more easier.. bit of a cheek we need to pay when everyone pays them to see it also..

Hmmm, How does the new freedom of information act affect this?

Surely under this act we are allowed to see all information that is held about us on their computer systems without paying? I know it's not a lot but its the principle of it.....

Ade

Well its free for the 30 days..

You can also request printed copies by post for about £2 or 3 I think.. which covers admin costs, so they would argue the provision of the data is actually free, your paying for the admin.

They are not obliged to provide free info due to the Consumer Credit Act. The statutory fee to do it by good old Royal Mail is £2. This will be changing on 31st May when a new Consumer Credit Act comes into force.

It will be better for consumers in the fact that all banks and money lending institutions will only be allowed to charge one month interest as a penalty for settling early unlike the two months that 99% charge at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is usefull a while ago i sent off for my credit rating and history they sent back thepast 8years records from present addres and old one thing there is it also said i missed or made late payments on visa bills, it also went into detail of how much i owed on car loan or visa bills which had been paid and then details of how much i've got in my bank account and my parents bank aswell as what they've got and paying out for down to the last few pence, somehow i dont think its right if credit company's can find out that kind of information that easily about personal details yes to check if payments are been made on time but how much is in your current account no.

[/ QUOTE ]

phew, u really need to start using better punctuation.....

[/ QUOTE ]

CHRIST pimp , a serious discusion and ure bitching about his grammer , wot are you a ****** english teacher???????

Back to the origanal point i think if more people looked at wot was on there "file" would probably scare them ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
*********************** just noticed the new sponsor is EXPERIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **************************
Isnt that a coincidence mucky paws lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it's just that........... a coincidence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pimp i dont give a toss what u think about my english, all that matters to me is that folk know what i'm on about which they do and the fact is that it is a worry that anyone can find owt anything about anyone with the need of very little information its just not right.

[ QUOTE ]
Pimp i dont give a toss what u think about my english, all that matters to me is that folk know what i'm on about which they do and the fact is that it is a worry that anyone can find owt anything about anyone with the need of very little information its just not right.

[/ QUOTE ]

All i was sayin is that a few full stops and commas would make your posts much easier to read.

Also, no one has the right to credit, loans etc, and if someone is going to give you a loan, then i think they have the right to assess the risks, by checking your history. I agree that maybe vodafone don't need to know your balance before deciding to give you a contract or not. But if someone is going to give you a loan for example, then its more then fair that they should be able to check your history in regards to what your like in making payments, whether you make them on time etc etc. And at the end of the day, most of this info has been available for ages, its only recently that we have been able to see it ourselves.

My own personal credit history was very good up until recently. I used to be able to get £1000 laptops on credit when i was 19. I got a £5000 loan to buy my car when i was 20 (i have always had a lot of contracts/direct debits/stuff on finance, just last year i had 4 mobile phone contracts, so i guess thats why my credit was good). But since a few months ago, the bills caught up (im 22 and at uni, so money a bit short). I missed quite a few payments on credit cards, one card got handed to debt collection agencies, obviously that has ruined my credit rating becuase now i can't even get a mobile phone contract. The only good thing is that i've been told that once i start making regular payments again, and on time, my rating will start improving immediatly.

checked mine a while ago and found that an ex girlfriend had been using my address from her phone bills as shet genuine BM wheels, i would certainly not put replicas on an M3 anyway !!