Could diesel spell the end of the natural world as we know it....

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
...I did say could, because as yet it hasn't been proven!!!

Taken from that well known local newspaper known as the Southern Daily Echo:
POLLUTION from diesel fumes may be behind the collapse of honey bee colonies around the world, Hampshire scientists believe.

Researchers from the University of Southampton believe tiny particles emitted from diesel engines could be affecting bees' brains and damaging their in-built navigation skills, stopping worker bees finding their way back to their hives.
Ecologist professor Guy Poppy and neuroscientist Dr Tracey Newman think nanoparticles are one of a number of stress factors which could lead to a tipping point in bee health, which in turn could contribute to bee-colony collapse.
They will now take part in a three-year, £156,000 study to find out more.
Mr Poppy said: “Diesel road traffic is increasing in the UK and research from the US has shown that nanoparticles found in its fumes can be detrimental to the brains of animals when they are exposed to large doses.
“We want to find out if bees are affected in the same way, and answer the question of why bees aren't finding their way back to the hive when they leave to find food.”

Quite how belching Satan's black wind (e.g. diesel) into the atmosphere is any more damaging than heavy industrial pollutants, radiation, cow flatulence or any other odeous effluent is beyond me, but if they prove to be right then alternative fuels can't come quick enough I guess.

Now there is a theory (e.g. again not proven fact) that if honey bees were to become extinct the lack of cross pollenation of flowers and plants would cause a significant reduction in readily available natural foodstuffs within as little as 4 years of bees extinction which would see a huge increase in the price of these foods, and resultant loss of life due to food shortages!!!

Another over-egged media hype story, only time will tell!!

Basically I think what they are trying to say in a round about way is what I have suspected for years, that diesel is in fact the devils fuel.

Bee's or 50MPG, I know which I'd rather have.

damn all you diesel users, damn you all to hell LOL

It could well be part of the problem, along with thousands of other reasons too!

Not much happening lately since the riots so they need something to write ( apart from the global recession !) in the newspapers nowadays !

TBH regardless if its the derv or not, if bees do go the way of the dodo, it could be a very big problem for us, but hey we'll just do the normal thing, be ignorant to the real world issues & continue to fight & kill eachother, cause of course prooving who has the biggest willy is what life's about huh.

I so wish the men in charge would take some reality pills & see where this world is going & actually do some good towards turning it around instead of hyping up & talking about green tech/issues & doing sweet fa about it!!!!

Time to get buying those Monsanto shares.

I think it's easy to blame the things we can see with our eyes, but I'm as interested to see what damage the things we can't see are causing (e.g microwaves from mobile devices and mobile base stations, wifi and other emitted frequencies).

Govt attitude is that if the 'issue' generates wealth then it's an acceptable trade off, just charge the consumers more tax to offset it (which actually just gets wasted or pocketed rather than addressing the issue). Whilst we might live in a technological age we still understand so little of the impact we have on anything, including each other!!