My Trip to Scotland!!

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
[image]http://www.audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=780&size=big&sort=1&cat=500[/image]

In June, myself and a freind in his S4 are planning a trip to Scotland. After much planning, involving many maps and more websites! here is the final (ish) route. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif
If anyone has any suggestions on roads or things to see/do, they would be appreciated.
It has to be fairly touristy, as we've got to keep the women happy! Was hard enough to persuade her that 9 days of (me) driving would be fun!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

looks like your going to be doing a fair few miles there rob, looks like fun. sorry cant help with where to go as ive never been to scotland.

We're off to the Isle of Bute again in May.

By the way, don't write off Edinburgh altogether. The A68/A696 route from Edinburgh to Newcastle via Jedburgh is driver heaven

Avoid the A9 - it's awful. 50mph behind trucks, littered with scameras and stupid foreign tourists in hire cars. From inverness I would head further inland and include grantown on spey, tomintoul and braemar on the itinerary back - purely for the roads....

Ignore earlier post. I hadn't figured out how to view your route when I wrote that. Now I have, I can see you're planning on using the A68 route. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We're off to the Isle of Bute again in May.

By the way, don't write off Edinburgh altogether. The A68/A696 route from Edinburgh to Newcastle via Jedburgh is driver heaven

[/ QUOTE ]

Everytime I visit family back home in Sheffield, I take this road. If you get it when it's not busy with trucks it's awesome. Once travelled back to Aberdeen on New Years day. Only came across four cars going my way, who got overtaken in no time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The twisties just Scottish side of border are a real test of quattro.

The first time I drove that route, it was 1980, I was 18, and driving a 1967 HB Vauxhall Viva. It had an 1159cc engine pushing out about 50bhp, rear-wheel drive & 155SR-12 tyres. I left Chester-le-Street in Co, Durham at 10.30am, and arrived at Edinburgh University's Teviot Row House bang on 1pm. 125 miles door-to-door, at exactly 50mph average speed.

I reckon I'd struggle to do the same today in a 2.8 Quattro..

[ QUOTE ]
The first time I drove that route, it was 1980, I was 18, and driving a 1967 HB Vauxhall Viva. It had an 1159cc engine pushing out about 50bhp, rear-wheel drive & 155SR-12 tyres. I left Chester-le-Street in Co, Durham at 10.30am, and arrived at Edinburgh University's Teviot Row House bang on 1pm. 125 miles door-to-door, at exactly 50mph average speed.

I reckon I'd struggle to do the same today in a 2.8 Quattro..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's because there's too many speed camera's now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif, still a great road for the twisties and the humps though.

Thanks for the info people!

The reasoning behind Edinburgh twice, rather than Glasgow is that I have a friend that i lived with in Canada that lives there. Don't think I'll have time to get to Glasgow too.

But will have another look at the route with my mate, and take into account all the suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Avoid the A9 - it's awful. 50mph behind trucks, littered with scameras and stupid foreign tourists in hire cars. From inverness I would head further inland and include grantown on spey, tomintoul and braemar on the itinerary back - purely for the roads....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks David, I think I might have drawn the route a tad wrong on that part, as I'm sure those places are on the route already!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Should be a good week!

having looked at your map and trying not to repeat what has been said before...last summer a few mates and i went up from glasgow to oban, across to mull up to top of mull (stay on tobermoray of all places for my 30th!!) and then back across to mainland up the west coast to Skye..

Things l liked..

Sanna (sp?) white med looking beaches - honest.
Eileen Donan (sp?) - where highlander was filmed
Climbing up to old mad on stoor on Skye.
Tobermoray - didn't see Balamorie lady - but some nice pubs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

being from glasgow - i'd say head straight across from edinburhg and see glasgow and then do the west coast route.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif passing loch lomond etc up....if you want to see pics of my trip pm me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it a bit scary going to Scotland with all those Scots hanging around? :))

(come on Scots, here's an opening for you all...)

[/ QUOTE ]

They do actually talk to ya once you lived up here for a few years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's nae the talkin that waaries mee, it's tha oother funnae noises thea maek.... :)

[/ QUOTE ]

How wise of you not to attempt the accent.

wow, so at least if i Visit South Africa there is one town I wont get lost in.

Went camping many moons ago in Blairgowrie (with the massive hedge!) sat in a pub with my mate for several hours and everbody that came in was female /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif After a while my pal asked the barstaff in his usual tactful way "is it dykes night?"