9/11 Remembering

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Dont know what to say still 10 years later, to watch these scene's again still brings me to tears, watching the families reeling of name after name, an extremely sad day for the whole world.

If the surnames are to go by, it seems quite shocking how many same family members died together, extremely sad.

I was installing a phone system at a site in the reading area with my GF, heard it over the radio, we thought it was a small plane had crashed, wasnt until we were told a 2nd crashed into a building, that we knew it was so much more.

Its hard to watch the towers go down, seeing the planes hit, thinking about what these people must have been thinking, the extreme distress of being gripped in untold & intense fear, to know of what could be there time to go, it is something I will never forget even just as a bewildered tv watcher at the time.

I then think about all the innocent people that have been killed in other countries as a result of these actions, is there any justification for any of these actions, I fear not.

I then think how is it possible humans can be so cruel to eachother & wonder if we will ever get past this time in our world of segregating, cultures, colours, countries, religions, etc, I fear not, in my lifetime.

So on this day, my thoughts, heart goes out to the families of those thats lives were taken from them on this day 10 years ago, but also to all the families of all the innocent people who have lost there lives as a consequence of this very day.

Lets hope the future can get us past our lust for causing pain & suffering to eachother.

Reactions: A4_MaJiK
Here here well said also sitting watching with tears in my eyes

"Grief is the price we pay for love"

Last edited:
Totally agree with your words Nige. There has been alot of programmes on over the last week over here, seems it hit everyone very hard here too. To see the images all over again is awful and the programme on the surviving children was sooo sad I couldnt watch it all, the tears flowed so much.

Love to all those who were lost and heart felt sympathies to the surviving families and relatives.

Really hope mankind can learn from the past but sadly we havnt grown much as a species have we when all this conflict still continues.

Last edited:
It's terrible Nigel,a lot of innocent lives lost in the aim of conquering the world

Nigel, i just want to thank you for that excellent write up of events. It is indeed a very sad world we live in. I have been to Ground Zero
many times on my trips to New York, and its sad to see firsthand where so many people have lost there lives. It is a strangely earie but
calm place for those left behind to visit. I really feel for all those who have lost there loved ones, our thoughts are with them especially
today.

Ah man that firemans story really had me in tears. It was just unreal to think of the loss of life.

It is always said that everyone remembers where they were when they heard that John F Kennedy had been shot. I don't, largely because I was 18 months old. Sadly, 9/11 is my "I remember exactly what I was doing" moment. My wife and I had the week off, and were supposed to have gone to Cornwall for a holiday. Unfortunately, I was in a lot of pain from the dodgy cartledges in my knees, so we cancelled the trip and just bummed around home for a week. Early afternoon on the 11th, we had been shopping in Bromley and were driving across Chislehurst Common when it was announced that a plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers. At first, we imagined it was just some idiot in a single engined private plane who had got lost. A short while later, it was announced that the other Tower had been hit, and that's when it dawned on us that this was not an accident.

We got home, switched the television on, and stared, struck dumb in horror. After an hour or so, we had to do something, as to continue watching was too much to bear. We got in the car, drove to Dartford Heath, and walked the dog. On the way back, I stopped off at the old Audi dealer in Dartford, and bought an S4 grill (I had a B5 1.8SE then). I think it is a human trait, when confronted with horror and suffering too great to comprehend, that we seek comfort in the banal and the mundane. I know I did that afternoon. Eventually, we went home, and watched as the Towers fell.

I think for the first time, I began to understand how my parents must have felt in 1939. When I spoke to her that evening, my mother - choking back tears - was experiencing the same emotions and fears that she remembered from childhood.

Others had written and spoken far more eloquently than I ever can about the loss of life, the acts of heroism, and the stories of despair, and some of miraculous relief and joy.

Last edited:
Nice words Nige.

The world truly changed for the worst that day.

The whole episode was so surreal that my youngest thought it was a film clip. I didn't know anyone from this disaster, but it is fresh in my mind and my feelings go out to everyone concerned.

I suppose my memory is mostly refreshed due to the photographs taken by Joel Meyorwitz in his book "The Aftermath". I had to study this as part of my degree course, and i have to be honest, it brought a tear to my eye.

Rest in peace.

I remember that day like it was yesterday, I was fresh out of uni, was sat at home waiting to take my mum out shopping, she came downstairs and had a mad go at me for putting a film on when I knew we were going shopping, only after I explained that this isnt a film and flicked thru every single channel that she realised it was real life!!

I had a call from an agency too for my first proper job after uni and I was trying to explain what was going on to the woman that called and she just didnt grasp the concept of what was happening!!

A very sad day and one that will always be fresh in our minds and hearts, RIP to all those innocent people that lost their lives that day.

I was in bed for 3 days with flu, i flicked telly on and watched CNN all day, best coverage i have ever seen.

I saw everything happen live!

Its amazing as most people don't realise how many people jumped, it was recorded as over 300 people jumped, landing on glass roofs, pavements and lower buildings.

The 'Falling Man' documentary was very powerful and just the thought of it really upsets me, as these are people at work, like you and me and they chose to jump rather than burn to death, simply horrific.

A normal day at the office and the next thing you know your phoning your missis and saying good bye before jumping to your death, with no way down if your near the top.

It would have been better if the towers came straight down as over 400 servicemen would have lived!

This was one of the only 9/11 videos I hadn't seen. Shocking.
And I don't even want to begin imagining the reactions of those in the towers as it was happening.
Spine chilling

Last edited by a moderator: