Caution to Ebay Newbies when offered Second Chance...

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I have bid on a few things on ebay recently...sadly one was for Tsunami Charity and we're talking in £1000's.. and not won the bid. However in all cases i have been immedietely offered a second chance as the original winner has not paid. These are just scams.

Just as warning to any Ebay newbies. Most Second Chance Offers are not genuine - some are - but most not.
To confirm whether its genuine:-
1) Check the feedback of the winner and seller to see whether the transaction went through. In all my cases it did.
2) Email the seller directly from ebay via the auction page and ask them to confirm its a second chance auction from the seller.
3) Reply to the second chance email and say "cool, give me your address and i'll have a mate come round and pick it up and pay cash" You say mate as you probably wont live near the winner person. 4) Look at the bid history if present. Again in all 3 cases i wasn't actually the second highest bidder!!
5) But most importantly if you do buy something - buy it through ebay.

Anyway just annoyed at some sad fekkers who try to make a living out of ripping off others.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

Veryblack'n'lowA3 unfortunatley its always the rotten apples who spoil it for the rest of us....there you are trying to make a living from buying and selling and others out to just rip people off. Cant blame people for being sceptical just a shame that guys like u get the raw deal who are genuine and only trying to earn a crust like the rest of us! Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

CJ,
Thanks for your message. I know only too well what it feels like to be on the receiving end of (attempted) scams and I can imagine the anger and frustration (and possible embarrasment ?) felt by those who are actually taken in by these scumbags.
I was merely pointing out that to throw around random unsubstantiated accusations gets nobody anywhere. Selling for a living on E-bay is (unless you are lucky/gifted) far from an easy ride, made even more difficult by timewasting bogus buyers with a scam to sell you but no intention of completing the puchase.This is what makes it hard work, without having to read posts on a public forum describing those who participate in a perfectly legitimate business practice such as offering the second highest bidder, and third, fourth etc. the opportunity to purchase an item that they are clearly interested in as 'sad fekkers out to rip people off' etc.!
Just wanted to get that off my chest ! Aaaahhhh.......and relax....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i appreciate there are many many great ebayers and most of my guitar purchases well into £1000's have gone smoothly. And i have purchased from all over.... So for me ebay has been a great experience, but only because i exercise extreme caution - espeically as i said on Second Chance Offers..

But VeryblacknlowA3 i never picked you out for critisism....til now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

....Couple of questions?
If you have more than 1 item for sale, why not list multple items? It there a purpose of offering the second highest bidder another item you happen to have? Is it to save the fee's?
Why don't you leave negative feedback? This is one of the fundamentals of Ebay? If you are regularly getting non-payers and having to offer 2nd chances, doesn't that tell you something.

As for availing myself of the facts...the facts are my experience.
a) bbs ch's for £450 and i was the 5th highest bidder? (have a look Its from Feb 10th)
b) Gibson Les Paul Custom £800 6th highest bidder
c) Audi S3 2001 50k with Sat nav and heated seats 18's and chip £15000, highest bidder buy reserve not met
d) Xbox with games £40 - 10th highest bidder
and there are at least 20 or 30 other items been offered to me over the years and without excercising extreme caution i would have been fleeced for thousands but more likely left ebay.

I based my caution on my experiences. In my 5 years on Ebay i have never ever been offered a genuine second chance option. EVER

What i am saying here is no different that any of the other advice up here. just trying offer people genuine caveats so that fellow Audi owners don't end up out of pocket.

But my advice to you would be to steer clear of second chance offers..and you'll go far my son...best of luck with your shop and you missed your chance of plugging it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer and if i'm wrong i got bbs's for £450 whoo hoo - you got yourself a tenner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might help myself to the wheels and tell you it was a scam lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Ah shame - actual seller emailed me back this morning through ebay accusing me of trying to scam him!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not sure how i could - but there you go!!

And i still get emails off this other guy asking for my delivery address etc as he can't have me picking them up! So i've now asked him for a photo of the kerbed wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bl**dy Hell veryblack'n'lowA3, do you write for a profession??? Mini essays you have posted here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Ok, whilst we are talking about ebay, any sellers come across the following problem: You sell something on Ebay, say a mobile phone. Expect it to sell for about, say, £140. Then, just seconds before the auction ends, (whilst there is a genuine winning bidder), some dic*khead comes along and puts in a bid of about £400. This takes the sale away from you and the genuine highest bidder, and also means you have to pay ebay commission on the 'sale', which should have been a percentage of only about £140 but instead is now of £400. I find trying to tell ebay about this an absoulute nightmare, they never seem to reply, and i've now paid commission on over £1000 worth of 'sold' items, when in actual fact the value should have been about £300. Why don't ebay do something about this? And does anyone know the best way of getting in touch with ebay, and actually getting a response from them?

I had the same problem Pimp, and cannot get a response from them... annoying when you're the buyer too!
I think eBay don't answer because they make serious money that way!!!

pimp isn't there an option to say buyer didn't pay and go second chance offer as described by Very above? and then you only pay fees on the price the item was sold at?

Or can you just cancel the bid?
Or you can restict the bidding - you only let people you approve bid on items. That way you limit snipers etc.

Very???

I haven't sold anything for ages and it was all fine and dandy - a beautiful snake skin Jackson sold to a guy that almost killed himself racing his car, survived, and is now - having seen the light - spending all his money on guitars and stuff!

oh and just got a mail from my bbs scammer asking me for my ebay user name!! What an idiot!!

[ QUOTE ]
TDI... 820 and you're still a Groupie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Huumph, BP you won't be laughing, this is becoming a joke.

Maybe i'll get to a 1000 posts and then i'll be groupie, great, again, yeah, woopeee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

TDI Line, sorry mate, i think you might have misread the topic, its a serious discussion on ebay, which i think quite a lot of people are interested in, you've made 2 posts here and neither have anything to do with the topic at all, take your whoring somewhere else, or make a new thread for it cos its getting annoying.

I think ebay really need to up their security, considering how much money they are making now, it should be much better, half these scams shouldn't be possible. They should have much better support for sellers, when it comes to non-paying buyers.

[ QUOTE ]
pimp isn't there an option to say buyer didn't pay and go second chance offer as described by Very above? and then you only pay fees on the price the item was sold at?

Or can you just cancel the bid?
Or you can restict the bidding - you only let people you approve bid on items. That way you limit snipers etc.

Very???

I haven't sold anything for ages and it was all fine and dandy - a beautiful snake skin Jackson sold to a guy that almost killed himself racing his car, survived, and is now - having seen the light - spending all his money on guitars and stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is an option as such where you can just say the buyer did not pay. If the auction goes through, then you have to pay your fees as normal and then resolve (try to) with ebay. I think second chance only applies when the item didn't sell, and you can offer it to the next highest bidder.

I would also cancel the bid if i was at the computer, but i can't always be there just when the auction finishes, as this is when the pranksters bid, just b4 the end.

Also, i think its only worth approving bids if your selling something expensive, like a car. If its something cheap, like a £100 mobile phone, i can't be bothered to check out every bidder, as normally there aren't any problems. But on this one occasion, i had 3 phones for sale. First one was worth max about £30, highest genuine bid was about £27, seconds b4 it finished someone bod £200, just to ruin the auction.

Sorry Pimp, but i think you have misread the topic, it is a serious topic and i have posted 4 times here, ok so one was serious and the other 3 were replies to other members. But you should take a closer look at your own posts for post whoring, well really 3 in a row. You could have made that 1 post.

But i agree with you in ebay security and strikes. They just seem so useless and a complete waste of time. I know, i've been there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yeah i know about that, and i've tried it all as well. I actually let ebay know straight away, as it was obvious it wasn't a real bid, as it was WAY too high, the guy was un-reg, didn't have any feedback, his id was something 'boobs', anyway, i never got a reply from ebay. This happened about 2 times, so in the end i just gave up trying to contact ebay. I can understand people trying to claim non-payment when it isn't obvious, but in this case it was obvious that it wasn't a genuine buyer, but i still never heard anything back from ebay.

[ QUOTE ]
yea i bet they do. suppose they'll soon contact me when i stop my direct debit payments.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be the answer Pimp... although I don't pay by D/D, and they still do not get in contact... there must be some sort of Obudsman you can be refered to? I obviously do not sell as much on eBay as you do, so do not feel I have seriously been conned out of my cash... although i have missed last minute bids due to some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif coming in at the last minute and putting an outrageuous figure on something. I guess eBay could just argue that its all part of the game of Auctioneering, and that's the particular danger of it being online... I work with real auctions, and this sort of thing couldn't happen here

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this post was a bit long for you pilot, well done for making it this far ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the consideration on this one veryblack'n'lowA3, just managed to stay with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Pimp... he's right about making really good records of who it is etc., otherwise you'll be left without case scenarios, which is no good when trying to back your case up!