Overpayment dilemma

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
So I'm doing my self-assessment for the tax man and I'm going through my payslips and I notice that i was overpaid 1 month. We were given a 2% annual increase which was back-dated a few months, but a few people never got it payed in their May pay, so they were payed it in June - except I got it payed in May and then again in June! So I was overpaid almost £1000, do I keep quiet about it or report it to payroll?

Report it to payroll. If they find it you will feel awkward telling them you didn't realise, I mean, it's a £1000!

You don't have to tell them, you just have to query it with them. It may be genuine!

Bank it to one side - if they notice they can ask, not demand, that you repay it - & you can agree repayment terms that are agreeable to both - if they never notice then class it as a brucey bonus - keep tight lipped it's not your reponsibility to notice

They can deduct it from your next pay cheque, someone will most likely notice it, and you will get a deduction.

You should not keep money that is not yours to keep. If you know it is a mistake, and you actually work for this company, why wouldn't you tell them?

They haven't noticed in 14 months, surely they've been through year end and everything balanced? And it's reflected in my P60.

And I've submitted my self assessment now, how would I retract that from IR so that I don't bear the cost of the tax on it, I mean that would end up costing me £400!

I was overpaid and they requested I repay but it was my decision as it was their fault...... Took em 18 months to get the wedge back :)

Ah well, you didn't say it was that long ago, just forget about it, if they do ask you just ask them for a payment plan.