AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

kwik fit apprenticeship

My mates son is thinking of applying for this apprenticeship, he is 21, does anyone know what the chances are he will get in? Is it a worthwhile course or is it just cheap labour for kwikfit? Are there any alternatives with possible better career chances, he has a couple of gcse.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Kwik fit aren't mechanics, they're fitters. He'd be better of doing a proper mechanics course
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Chugger

Status
    Depends how ambitious he is. If he's quite keen it may turn into quite a secure job for him at kwikfit, obviously if he wants a bit more than a proper course would be best route. Approach all the dealers and they regularly take guys on for training.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

5th Gear

Status
    All he'll learn at Kwikfit is tyre fitting, exhaust fitting, brakes and battery maintenance. Possibly MOT testing and servicing later on. He'd be better off doing a proper course. How many times do you hear people say, "I've just had my timing belt changed at Kwik-Fit..."?

Exactly!! lol
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

Status
    How many people would take there car to have the timing belt done at kwik fit if they did do them?

I wouldn't let them touch my car

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gary3306 View Post
    All he'll learn at Kwikfit is tyre fitting, exhaust fitting, brakes and battery maintenance
    You really think he'd learn that from Kwikfit, damn even the socalled trained guys cant do that, so his chances are almost minimum.

Find him a proper garage & learn proper mechanics, he will always be cheap labour as a trainee, thats how it works, but as he gets knowledgable, his salary will reflect this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You really think he'd learn that from Kwikfit, damn even the socalled trained guys cant do that, so his chances are almost minimum......
    Sorry, you're right. Let me rephrase it. "All he'll be told, incorrectly, is how to fit tyres, exhausts........."

Better?

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That'll do

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    LOL

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

1st Gear

Status
    You all echo my thoughts exactly. I have been trying to say this to him but he expewcts things to come his way easily or by internet. I told him to go speak to the service managers at dealerships. To be honest I'm not sure he'll stick it but he has to try.
    thank you for all your advice.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GARTHY View Post
    My mates son is thinking of applying for this apprenticeship, he is 21, does anyone know what the chances are he will get in? Is it a worthwhile course or is it just cheap labour for kwikfit? Are there any alternatives with possible better career chances, he has a couple of gcse.
    I take it your mates son is not working at the moment, with only a couple of GCSE's, he better be good at blagging his way through the interview, but I don't know him personally, so won't judge him on his ability.

Everyone has to start somewhere, so it's no good most of us suggesting it's not the way forward or it doesn't have good prospects etc. I personally think he should apply for the job and see where it leads him, he doesn't have to accept the job if offered it does he?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Good luck, I've got level 1, 2 and 3 NVQ's in motor vehicle maintenance and an additional diploma in Motorsport Studies and couldn't get a job working in a dealers when I left college and ended up working in a bike shop! And trust me, I more than tried!
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

thats me

Status
    Arr NVQ`s we all know what they stand for lol

Ive got upto level 4 but they just came as part of my training along with ONC and HNC etc
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    Arr NVQ`s we all know what they stand for lol

Ive got upto level 4 but they just came as part of my training along with ONC and HNC etc
    Doesn't ONC stand for Obviously Not Competent?
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

thats me

Status
    probally thats why you have to get a HNC :P
    red to red black to black blue to bits