kwik fit apprenticeship

RHODIE

Reaction score
My mates son is thinking of applying for this apprenticeship, he is 21, does anyone know what the chances are he will get in? Is it a worthwhile course or is it just cheap labour for kwikfit? Are there any alternatives with possible better career chances, he has a couple of gcse.

Depends how ambitious he is. If he's quite keen it may turn into quite a secure job for him at kwikfit, obviously if he wants a bit more than a proper course would be best route. Approach all the dealers and they regularly take guys on for training.

All he'll learn at Kwikfit is tyre fitting, exhaust fitting, brakes and battery maintenance. Possibly MOT testing and servicing later on. He'd be better off doing a proper course. How many times do you hear people say, "I've just had my timing belt changed at Kwik-Fit..."?

Exactly!! lol

How many people would take there car to have the timing belt done at kwik fit if they did do them?

I wouldn't let them touch my car

All he'll learn at Kwikfit is tyre fitting, exhaust fitting, brakes and battery maintenance

You really think he'd learn that from Kwikfit, damn even the socalled trained guys cant do that, so his chances are almost minimum.

Find him a proper garage & learn proper mechanics, he will always be cheap labour as a trainee, thats how it works, but as he gets knowledgable, his salary will reflect this.

You really think he'd learn that from Kwikfit, damn even the socalled trained guys cant do that, so his chances are almost minimum......

Sorry, you're right. Let me rephrase it. "All he'll be told, incorrectly, is how to fit tyres, exhausts........."

Better? ;)

You all echo my thoughts exactly. I have been trying to say this to him but he expewcts things to come his way easily or by internet. I told him to go speak to the service managers at dealerships. To be honest I'm not sure he'll stick it but he has to try.
thank you for all your advice.

My mates son is thinking of applying for this apprenticeship, he is 21, does anyone know what the chances are he will get in? Is it a worthwhile course or is it just cheap labour for kwikfit? Are there any alternatives with possible better career chances, he has a couple of gcse.

I take it your mates son is not working at the moment, with only a couple of GCSE's, he better be good at blagging his way through the interview, but I don't know him personally, so won't judge him on his ability.

Everyone has to start somewhere, so it's no good most of us suggesting it's not the way forward or it doesn't have good prospects etc. I personally think he should apply for the job and see where it leads him, he doesn't have to accept the job if offered it does he?

Good luck, I've got level 1, 2 and 3 NVQ's in motor vehicle maintenance and an additional diploma in Motorsport Studies and couldn't get a job working in a dealers when I left college and ended up working in a bike shop! And trust me, I more than tried!

Arr NVQ`s we all know what they stand for lol

Ive got upto level 4 but they just came as part of my training along with ONC and HNC etc