Grand Prix

We've just watched this on iPlayer on PS3 tonight. Didn't realise Jackie Stewart was so instrumental in making F1 safe, and that Colin Chapman was basically ....... I'll choose not to speak ill of the dead.

Last edited:
I spotted this was on, recorded it and watched it yesterday. An amazing program and really eye-opening. This deserved a better prime-time slot and confirms that BBC4 continues to show high quality original documentaries.

Those of us of a younger generation know of the 'famous' deaths from the 60's and 70's - Jim Clark is probably one of the most talked about. What really shocked me is how many other drivers perished - some of them had barely done any races. Yet as they were unknowns they haven't passed into folklore in the way that Clark, Rindt etc. have. The attitude from some team owners was 'so what - there are plenty more keen racers to fill their boots'. As Jackie Stewart says in the program, at some points it was 1 in 3 chance of living; 2 in 3 chance of dying in some teams in an F1 season.

He deserves a lot of respect for bringing the sport to its senses.

That footage of Zandvoort 1973 that they closed the program with is harrowing in the extreme. Watching Dave Purley try so hard to rescue Roger Williamson from his burning car with poorly equipped and trained marshalls unwilling/unable to help whilst they continue to race is utterly shocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren I knew he had done summat to improve safety but not how much
Jason I remember someone posting a video under 'tribute' but it was just showing the poor drivers dying and was deleted,that footage you have there has got to be the worst thing I have ever seen (saw a few bad things) the way the marshals stand their as they have no fireproofing is awful.
I hope they are both having a beer up in heaven.

I seriously just shed a tear almost. That was horrendous. What a hero for trying so hard to help someone in need. You can almost feel David's pain by his reactions. Sad indeed.

IThat footage of Zandvoort 1973 that they closed the program with is harrowing in the extreme. Watching Dave Purley try so hard to rescue Roger Williamson from his burning car with poorly equipped and trained marshalls unwilling/unable to help whilst they continue to race is utterly shocking.QUOTE]

In 1978, Ronnie Petersen crashed and his car burst into flames with him trapped inside. James Hunt (a close friend of Petersen) jumped out of his car and risked his own life to pull Petersen out, suffering burns of his own in the process. Sadly, it was in vain, as Petersen died in hospital. Hunt was distraught (he also - wrongly as it happened - blamed then rookie driver Riccardo Patrese for the crash).

A good book to get is "Life at the limit" by Professor Sid Watkins, very enjoyable read if you like your F1.

I saw this on BBC4 several months ago, and remember thinking at the time what a good programme it was, and wondering why BBC1 broadcast such junk while fascinating things like that are tucked away on BBC4.

I think the 70's and 80's were fascinating years in F1, I don't really watch it all these days. The real risk of death every race was hard to imagine, and the scenes with David Purley truly shocking.

I watched this and thorougly enjoyed it. Another programme i watched was a tribute to murray walker, it was very good.

Another programme i watched was a tribute to murray walker, it was very good.
Yeah, I saw that one as well. There was also another one about the crash at Le Mans in 1955 which remains the worst ever accident in motorsport with 1 driver and 83 spectators sadly losing their lives.

utterly horrific. I knew it was bad back then but watching it just gave me a better understanding of how truely terrifying it was. I know im going to be biased but Jackie Stewart is one of the few older drivers I like, i've heard some highly questionable comments by some others like Stirling Moss & Niki Lauder.

I watched it and am shocked,these days I know we are safety conscious and sometimes its a bit much but ****** hell they had no ambulances stationed nearby ?? no barriers ?? and a car was allowed to compete which was experimental and the body made of magnesium...the poor driver had no chance when it crashed.

I watched it and am shocked,these days I know we are safety conscious and sometimes its a bit much but ****** hell they had no ambulances stationed nearby ?? no barriers ?? and a car was allowed to compete which was experimental and the body made of magnesium...the poor driver had no chance when it crashed.

And testing would consist of putting something on the car (like 6 inches of polystyrene on the rear wing), standing back, rubbing your chin and saying... I think we'll give that a go.

Life was so cheap back then. Then you have dicks like motorsport magazine saying 'do they want to knit with soft tipped needles' just because they wanted an Armco in a forest. Safety has gone mad today, but at least when you see crashes like McNish and Mike Rockenfellar?? At Le Mans this year they are both alive and well, and that can only be a good thing.

That was a really thought provoking programme - I keep thinking about that Dave Purley incident. All that frustration and the marshalls appearing rather stand offish was heartrending. Everyone else driving past as well. Different times as they said...

Jackie Stewart's autobiography is a great read on how he tried to changed things. Goes on a bit about sponsorship towards the end, but worth a read for the great stuff in most of the book.