Need Microsoft Office - nice and cheap

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just bought a new computer, running Windows 7. My old one is XP, and the version of Office that I have running on it is also XP, and I don't think it will run on the new one.

Does anyone know the cheapest way of getting a copy of Office compatible with Windows 7?

Should still work on Windows 7, I upgraded from XP to 7 last year and I put my office disk in and it works fine.

Dammit! I was gonna say that!

Only downside to openoffice is that you have to convert it to PDF in order to use the files on a PC without openoffice.

I had an offer at work not long ago where I could buy it for about £30 and it was also eligible for my family and friends. I'll find out tomorrow if the offer is still valid and see if I can help you out.

I had an offer at work not long ago where I could buy it for about £30 and it was also eligible for my family and friends. I'll find out tomorrow if the offer is still valid and see if I can help you out.

That's kind of you; thank you. I will try loading the old XP version first, though. I plan to spend tomorrow evening setting the new one up and migrating all my stuff from this one.

Jeff if you know any students eg in the family, im pretty sure they can get it for about £25 or thereabouts.....im pretty sure there was a load of info on it on Martins Moneysaving expert or Hot UK Deals...

Should still work on Windows 7, I upgraded from XP to 7 last year and I put my office disk in and it works fine.
Yup, you were spot on, SOP! My faithful old Office XP loaded srtaight on without a hitch. I've only loaded Word and Excel, as they're all I need.

Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions and offers of discounted deals. They were all much appreciated, even if, in the end, I didn't need them.