Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Loving the anonymity

Status

IT related help please!

A few weeks back our computers at uni/ work were hit with an attempted hack through computers with remote desktop enabled. Anyway, long story short, mine was attempted to be hacked so the clever IT people here have re-imaged my desktop machine. However, I am now no longer an administrator, so cannot even do menial tasks such as change the screen resolution unless they come and do it for me. Currently my screen looks like it's a screen resolution about 100x100 pixels.

It's ridiculous, and i've told them that I can't work with it like this, so need to be an administrator. I am awaiting the email in return, but again I can't set up my emails unless they come do it for me. However, due to the virus they are quick to image a computer, but then walk off and are now re-imaging others before mine has been configured.

Anyway, is there a way I can change the screen resolution other than right clicking on the desktop and going to properties? It's driving me insane, i feel like i'm working on an old zx spectrum right now.

NOT very happy this morning at all!!!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Control Panel then Display

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Sorry, should have said, I can't even access the control panel. Yes it is that bad!

Status
    Reboot in safemode

6th Gear

Status
    Windows Key & R then run cmd, when you get a command prompt cd \Windows\system32 then run control desk.cpl

Depends on how locked down your Windows is as to what you will be able to run.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Reboot in safemode
    How would this help? If I manage to access control panel from there will any changes to screen resolution stay when i re-reboot into normal mode again?

Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue View Post
    Windows Key & R then run cmd, when you get a command prompt cd \Windows\system32 then run control desk.cpl

Depends on how locked down your Windows is as to what you will be able to run.

Paul
    Tried that...looks like i'm screwed. I have emailed IT services and eagerly awaiting a reply as to why they think it's good practice to effectively ruin two of my working days

Thanks for the replies people.

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

I've used this before to remove/change passwords, I think you can also use it to change your account privileges. You'll need to be able to boot off a CD or USB though.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Sounds like your not just running as a normal user, but they've used group policy to limit you much much further than that. If your on a domain theres probably no way to get round it. If your not, then there are probably hacks available to reset the administrator password like the ones aaron mentioned, but i suspect if you go down that route you'll be seriously pissing off the IT people, and if its a big company the suggestion that you "hacked" your computer probably wont go down well with HR either!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Yeah, while the hack route sounds far more fun, it's not something i'd consider. I ended up having a word with some others from the group, and have 'borrowed long term' a pc that I can use. It's one that hasn't been imaged with the crippling staff-desktop image, so all is good now. Just need to switch over a graphics card and i'm all good.

The new image was so bad that every time i booted I had no internet history even, so working was a right pain!

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. New computer FTW

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Log off, and log back on to the local machine (not the domain) using username 'administrator' and leave the password blank or try using 'password'. It's a long shot but you'd be surprised how many machines don't have strong local admin passwords.
    If you manage to get in... using control panel - user accounts, add your domain user account to the local admins group.
    Again, it's a looong shot but this has worked in various places I've worked due to clueless IT departments.

But as mentioned above, if group policies are restricting you then you're stuck with what you've got.

EDIT: Just read your last post, I was a bit late!
    Last edited by Ads; 31st May 2011 at 12:48.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aythree View Post
    Again, it's a looong shot but this has worked in various places I've worked due to clueless IT departments.
    LOL, that used to work a peach on the PCs on display at Dixons/Currys/etc. Either that or I used to boot to MS DOS from my flash disk and FORMAT C:.

Ha ha ha ha, happy days. I used to do that around Gloucester whilst in between lectures.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    sounds like ur a group policy if u are it aint happening mate. Ull need someone with enough admin to move ur account to a different OU group in AD or grant you local admin rights on ur machine. Even if they do grant local admin the policy may still overwrite or change it when u log on again.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Well, there is a way, fire the machine up from a Linux OS CD and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy (Hidden folder) and delete that folder, or it's contents.

On boot, the Domain GPO will have gone and won't take affect again until you restart the system again. That should give you the ability to change resolution etc, as even as a normal user you are able to do such things.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

Loving the anonymity

Status
    Fear not people, my acquired machine is officially mine now so I have admin rights again, and am not on the staff-pc system that the old one was. It's a ridiculous system for some users. I always need to change some settings, com ports etc. Having to email it services to change a com port assignment is daft. I do think it's good for some users though, who rarely change anything and only want to play solitaire at lunch etc.

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Well, there is a way, fire the machine up from a Linux OS CD and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy (Hidden folder) and delete that folder, or it's contents.

On boot, the Domain GPO will have gone and won't take affect again until you restart the system again. That should give you the ability to change resolution etc, as even as a normal user you are able to do such things.

thats an interest idea for future reference. what linux OS cd are u talking? something like knoppix?

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Yeah, Knoppix, LDE, WHAX, they all will do the job.
    Homer Simpson