Changes on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
All well and good, personally i think it looks terrible but thats not down to me. what id like to know is where the hell all my private messages have gone. I had loads and now i only have 5. I am NOT happy at all, i had info in there i needed. What can be done to recover them?

Thats all very well saying to people you shouldnt leave important stuff in PM boards but they have and have now lost it , as far as im concerned the mods are at fault here they should have gave people notice , i dont think its askin much! ok the work needed done and i have no problem with that but i do think people should have been given some notice!

I quite like the changes, but I am not too sure on the colour scheme.

Also is there anyway to change the font? Or font size?

[ QUOTE ]
Thats all very well saying to people you shouldnt leave important stuff in PM boards but they have and have now lost it ,

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame.

[ QUOTE ]

as far as im concerned the mods are at fault here they should have gave people notice , i dont think its askin much!

[/ QUOTE ]

And perhaps you would care to enlighten us to how it's become our fault?

We didn't know the upgrade was planned...so we (the Moderators) couldn't warn people...we're not fcuking mind readers you know!
Besides, moderators don't have the ability to mess with the database.

Perhaps you should whinge and whine elsewhere...?

[ QUOTE ]

ok the work needed done and i have no problem with that but i do think people should have been given some notice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes...possibly it would...but we never knew either...

So we're all in the same boat. It's unfortunate...but I'm not about to have a go at the lads who gave up their weekend to improve things!
Sometimes you can't please people...

I'm delighted with the changes. I was starting to find the slow response times pretty off-putting, so if the price of freeing up the server to run at full speed is getting rid of all that stored stuff, I'm fine about it.

Apart from which, this is a free-to-use forum for people with a common interest in Audi cars. It's not a complementary Rolladex for people who can't be bothered to arrange their email address-books properly, for G0d's sake.

Not everyone who uses the site realises that the Mods and the admin are a different crowd Glen. Unless you keep abreast of the ins and outs of the site then you'd never know.

Therefore the mods get it in the neck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think the posts above got a bit arsey to quickly though.

Chill people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone who uses the site realises that the Mods and the admin are a different crowd Glen. Unless you keep abreast of the ins and outs of the site then you'd never know.

Therefore the mods get it in the neck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think the posts above got a bit arsey to quickly though.

Chill people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i was one of the people that didnt know that , and im sorry if i jumped on anybodys throat it wasnt ment for that i appoligize,we all do appriciate wot the mods and admin do its a good site that we all enjoy, BUT i dont like people swearing at me mods or not!
BUT as we all have sayed lets move on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

As said above, its crazy imo to keep important information on a free web forum! If this info was extremly important then you should have it backed up somewhere else!

As a mod on another site I fully appreciate its a thankless task. The fact you mods didn't know this was happening means that you can't take any blame.

However I think lessons should be learnt form this and passed back to the people concerned. Then in future we all benefit.

p.s. I am grateful to Admin for their work but who are they?

[ QUOTE ]
As a mod on another site I fully appreciate its a thankless task.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're telling me!
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. I am grateful to Admin for their work but who are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Matt is carrying out the Admin role...

[ QUOTE ]

I read it, it was your understanding pm's were gonna take a hit, implying you were aware that could happen, maybe therefore should have made people aware it could happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I'm now getting bored of saying...we didn't know it was due.
There had been various discussions about the ways we could speed the site up - several of which we'd tried - and one proposed way was to get everyong to clear out their PMs. Unfortunately people are lazy, and wouldn't have bothered their ***** doing so...

It looks like Admin has been pro-active and decided to try and improve things - fair play and well done!

Perhaps we could have issued a warning if we had known. But we didn't, as we didn't know....and it's done now.

Ideal? No.

But as I've asked before...are we going to get on with it now?

I wouldnt bother justifying yourself anymore. You dont owe anyone anything and I presume you dont get paid for moderating so just ignore the grief. Maybe now would be a good time for everyone to print off any PMs they have they want. I just have.

Cheers

Rob

You could always delete this thread now.......

Yes it would have been nice for the admin to tell us. However none of us pay anything to be a member, and for all the useful information we get out of this site, I hardly think we're in a position to complain.

I too am not that keen on the colours and images, but I think complaining before the site is fully operational is not the best move to take. I know what I'd do in their position...!

Yeah...cant upload pics to posts... Not a big problem, just host elsewhere and link to.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
All well and good, personally i think it looks terrible but thats not down to me. what id like to know is where the hell all my private messages have gone. I had loads and now i only have 5. I am NOT happy at all, i had info in there i needed. What can be done to recover them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it incredible how people moan so much on a site that costs them nothing to use.

If you will notice on the front page, we are aware that we have issues with private messages, so there is no need to start getting arsey when it is clear we are still working on issues to bring the site up to speed.

However, there is history to the mail problem, and that will go back to previous upgrades that were not carried out by us, but they were upgraded incorrectly, and the result is corruption in the message tables.

Private messages are not high on the list of things to get fixed when the rest of the site is running badly, and throwing about stroppy notes will not do you any favours, now if you want perhaps we can look back at the previous version and find your messages and cut and paste them into a new message, but you do need to chill out.

I am going to close this thread and post up another thread outling the reasoning behind some of the changes, lack of notice and what the future holds.. feel free to nag, moan and bitch as you feel fit on that thread.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.