Creating a website for a business

will89

Reaction score
I'm ok creating the website on iWeb which is what i would prefer to use on my mac, the question is is how do i go about buying a domain and hosting the website? How do i upload? It's not for me but for a friend for their pub.

Thank's in advance.

The domain name is just that, you buy it and then own it, but there's usually an annual fee of some sort. Then you need to buy web space to host your website, and direct the domain name to where your website is.

I'm ok creating the website on iWeb which is what i would prefer to use on my mac, the question is is how do i go about buying a domain and hosting the website? How do i upload? It's not for me but for a friend for their pub.

Thank's in advance.

You need to register the domain first; try the link to 1and1.co.uk. They do hosting as well.
First you need to decide what you want the web address to be, and this will be the domain; so if the pub was called "The Royal Albion", and you wanted the web address to be: www.theroyalalbion.co.uk you need to register "theroyalalbion.co.uk" as a domain. The cost is usually annual, but some companies do longer terms which work out a lot cheaper, so shop around.

Then you need to get hosting for your site; 1and1 do this too, and they can set this all up for you quite simply if you buy both hosting and register the domain with them. Things get a bit more complex if you register the domain with a different company than you get your hosting from.
You'll need to tell the domain registrar where your domain is hosted, and then get them to point your domain to the correct servers for that hosting company - the hosting company will tell you what these servers addresses are, and they're usually called name servers, following the format of ns1.hostingcompanyname.com etc so that when people type the URL into their browser they get the website for the pub rather than an error page.

Last edited: