It's that time of year again - insurance quotes?

ColinM

Reaction score
Just got my renewal from Eagle Star. Up to £775, so started shopping around:

Direct Line - £630
Tesco - £575
Churchill - £570

Any other recommendations to save me wading through my own list of insurers ?

OK, tried those two, so the league table (like for like policies) are, in order of price:

Eagle Star - £775
Egg - £644
Direct Line - £630
Elephant - £584
Tesco - £575
Churchill (phone) - £570
Esure - £527
Churchill (online) - £498

So £277 saved for a mornings work so far!

Now comes the easiest bit...to save all the form filing try www.confused.com and also when you have the cheapest quote call Eagle up and tell them, they may matching it and then it saves the hassle of changing companies!

Admiral Direct £1008
Elephant £1250
Tesco £1700 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Priveledge £1150

on the s4 obviously and with me as driver not Colin so not a direct comparison I know!

Try adding a married female as a named driver, such as your mum or something. It should decrease your quotation.

Not sure why it works, but it does seem to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

Try adding a married female as a named driver, such as your mum or something. It should decrease your quotation.

Not sure why it works, but it does seem to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason i can afford my insurance.

£2200 with my mum on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just tried , NU, Admiral and Confused.com so the table is now looking like NU are my potential insurers for next year:

Eagle Star - £775
Admiral - £775
Confused.com - £704
Egg - £644
Direct Line - £630
Elephant - £584
Tesco - £575
Churchill (phone) - £570
Esure - £527
Churchill (online) - £498
Norwich Union - £470

Added advantages with NU is their excess is £100 than most of the others and courtesy car is included whereas some others charge for the service.

Looks like I have knocked 40% off my renewal premium by shopping around this time.

It always amazes me how much quotes from different insurers vary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. You'd think there would be an industry standard formula for calculating risk etc.

It's very satisfying though when you can ring around and make a saving like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Christian

At the end of the day, I think insurance companies will offer daft quotes for the first year, just to get your business. I think they hope that the customer will be too lazy to shop around the next year so put the premium up. And up and up etc.

So the moral of the story is *always* shop around!

Alex.

I got a letter from the PRU yesteray and I tried an online quote £314. for the S3 Tesco last year when I got it was £346. Always worth a go.

www.pru.co.uk

Cool, Colin good to hear someone is getting cheap insurance, hopefully when I break the 25 yr old barrier I will be cheap as chips to insure!

Cheap insurance by being over 25 is a myth, it looks like 30 is the biggie now especially if the car is in group 20 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Insuring an S3 whilst 20 was not very pleasant - now I'm 22 it has eased up a bit. Roll on 30!

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Cheap insurance by being over 25 is a myth, it looks like 30 is the biggie now especially if the car is in group 20 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno, my quotes have been coming down loads since I was 25. My most recent quote for my S3 (4 yrs No Claims) and for business use was £550 and I am only 27