ASN's Pub

Morning all, what's been happening, what have I missed? This place seems dead! lol

Got me a free day to do some suspension upgrades, so praying for the weather to hold up and for all the parts to come apart nice and easily.

Morning all, what's been happening, what have I missed? This place seems dead! lol

Got me a free day to do some suspension upgrades, so praying for the weather to hold up and for all the parts to come apart nice and easily.

Wont happen Jo. Suspension is a horrible job. Separating the shock from the Hub is the hardest bit.

which car and what parts?

The S3 of course!
Wont happen Jo. Suspension is a horrible job. Separating the shock from the Hub is the hardest bit.

I always thought I've got a bit of play on my strut, me and Paul(tuffty) noticed some wear marks on the front turrets whilst at badger5 on Saturday, I have these Neuspeed strut top bling billet covers, and they was catching the edges due to movement! I also have some 10mm lowering caps I want to fit also, so kill 2 birds with one stone really... might change my drop links for new ones whilst I'm at it also!!

Don't you hate it when nothing goes to plan!?

Didn't get to touch the suspension, I couldn't get the frikin wheels off, a couple of track days and 2 years of the wheels being on, meant I needed to borrow a 3ft breaker bar to undo the bolts, and each one craaacked! So I thought I'd change the brake pads first, had to take the brembo calipers off to get the pads out!! That took me a couple of hours.... at least I now have Ferodo DS2500s fitted now, and just over a week to bed them in. :)

Don't you hate it when nothing goes to plan!?

Didn't get to touch the suspension, I couldn't get the frikin wheels off, a couple of track days and 2 years of the wheels being on, meant I needed to borrow a 3ft breaker bar to undo the bolts, and each one craaacked! So I thought I'd change the brake pads first, had to take the brembo calipers off to get the pads out!! That took me a couple of hours.... at least I now have Ferodo DS2500s fitted now, and just over a week to bed them in. :)

Oh no sounds like you've had a bit of a mare jo. If it's any conciliation dude iv only just got in from work and to make it worse iv been told the back of the sills caught in town and ragged all the vinyl. :banghead:

Take it you don't usually need to remove the calipers to change the pads on brembo's ;)
What pads did you have in before ?

Morning guys...ready for the heatwave? ..bit quieter day for me today...
Jo are you on a lowering kit? if so its possible to change the top mounts leaving the strutt in place by just undoing the drop links...and the strutt top....:icon_thumright:

Take it you don't usually need to remove the calipers to change the pads on brembo's ;)
What pads did you have in before ?

No, it's suppose to be a 5 minute job per side once you get the wheels off, but it ended up a 2hr job! I had cheapo OMP brake pads, and they did not want to slide out like they was suppose to, but I guess a couple of track sessions and 5years of british weather has taken it's toll, they was wedges in! Ferodo's just slid in once all cleaned up!

Come on Jo, you've been around long enough to know that no job on the car goes smoothly ;)

I hope you copper slipped the wheel bolts before putting them back on?

No, I didn't bother with the copper slip, they had some on already anyways, but I'm switching to BBS rims next week with a different set of extended bolts, so didn't bother with it.

Jo are you on a lowering kit? if so its possible to change the top mounts leaving the strutt in place by just undoing the drop links...and the strutt top....:icon_thumright:

Running Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs Dave, is it still possible, with a set of spring clamps obviously?...

I think I saw Westy do it this way actually, but it looks tight for space!

I would not think you need spring clamps i had tons of room on my coilovers once the drop link/topmount is undone all the leg just falls away..

Cool, I'll give it a try tomorrow if the weather holds out, working in a bit, so I don't want to start a job I can't finish on the same day! :)

Edit: Dave, I actually need to undo the the spring top plate and change it, still possible?

Last edited:
Cool, I'll give it a try tomorrow if the weather holds out, working in a bit, so I don't want to start a job I can't finish on the same day! :)

Edit: Dave, I actually need to undo the the spring top plate and change it, still possible?
Ahh you may need the clamps then, my coilovers i could still do it, but unsure on lowering spring/shock setup...

Cars ****ed, well ****** off and you're all ****ing gay.

So I went and bought a bunny to cheer myself up :)

316550_10150453974295130_709735129_11026689_617064338_n.jpg

Oh Jardo your not making excuses as to why your car won't be able to slay any S3s at ADI are you?.......

Nice bunny by the way.

He's breaking for all you S3 owners.

Morning all,

Jardo, I'm kind of thankfull I was unable to do it, I hate snapped bolts in engines.
What are you going to do about it?
Buy an S3? :)

Just over a week to go till ADI. I should really clean the car or something.

Morning lads... Jardo have you paid track time? im sure one of the s3 lads will tow you round for the experience......:)

haha.

I hope you get it sorted out mate. be a right shame if you don't get it sorted out before ADI.
Its just one bolt snapped off right?
Do the others up and forget about this one?

I didn't snap this one, which is the annoying thing, I assumed the stud was missing so went to Audi and got a new one which wouldnt thread in. This is why! And I've had a little go at it and the head is going to have to come off to get it out, it's a couple of threads into the head so there is nothing to get a set of visegrips on.

318691_10150453730505130_709735129_11025661_522117654_n.jpg

The exhaust leak is so bad, I don't want to take it on track the way it is!

I'm just going to drive it back to Basingstoke and get my dad to do it on Monday :(

Can't really afford all the fuel, the new studs and all the gaskets though. Gay, as, ****.

Even with my front mount clearing a fair bit of space it's tight.

I'm not running it at ADI unless it's fixed, simples. I dare to have it go above 5PSI with it like this, poor thing it's running terribly.

Ahhh jardo bet Yr well gutted. Do you reckon you'll have it sorted by ADI ??
If not maybe think about editing Yr sig until it's fixed ;)

No Chance drilling that out in situ.....so unless your dads going to whip the head off ....save your fuel/money

My dads done some pretty amazing stuff, he's replaced two studs on a TFSI with the head on in the past. Which VW said was impossible. However, I am budgeting for a cambelt and head gasket when I do it just in case.

I'm just so ****** off, one thing after another on this ****** thing at the moment! :(

Should be able to drill and tap it out surely? Can get some pretty tight drills. Having head of isn't a massive job though, so not the end of the world dude.

My dads done some pretty amazing stuff, he's replaced two studs on a TFSI with the head on in the past. Which VW said was impossible. However, I am budgeting for a cambelt and head gasket when I do it just in case.

I'm just so ****** off, one thing after another on this ****** thing at the moment! :(

Hmm good luck, you cannot see it straight on and it would have to be a small dremmel like drill, to get in, it will be hardened with the temp fluctuations so my guess is your gonna need something beefy to get in, with no beefy space....to do it right and making sure its going to be square the head comes off IMO