ASN's Pub

I had this too. It was all related to the exhaust for me.

Haha, does sound a bit shed like.
I like that exhaust, I had a really nice note to it.
JB weld it on and seal it up. lol

The leather and suede is great. No issed with that at all.
Apart from the rear side panel, it looks like someone attaked it with a chisel.

Its got a nice recon reaxle as well, so it handles alot better................Should have sold it by now really. lol

What colour is yours?
Mine was moonstoon.

Can you see the shape of the car's frame slightly through the panels?? You could on mine, on the rear wings.

And don't you just love the 'Britain's Got Talent buzzer' sized hazard light button also?!!!! lol.

For those who don't know.........

pugsm.jpg

Silver I think. lol
Not sure what name pug gave it. I'll find out later.
I try not to spend to much time looking at it.
I open the door, drive it, it knocks, drink fuel and get out with a smile on the face. lol

The coolant fan packed up couple of months after we got it. I love the fact that they put the relays in a non-water proof location right at the front so they rust out and then fall apart.
I stripped it down, found half a dead bird and made it so that the fan comes on fully at 90 degrees. sounds like a wind turbin kicking in but it does the job.
The best job ever on this car is at that some point it had the front bumper resprayed, the person who did could not be assed to take the bumper off or cover the front grill and rad up, so painted all of that at the time but never preped it.
So its all flaking off and only half the fan has been sprayed silver.
Its amazing!!

I open the door, drive it, it knocks, drink fuel and get out with a smile on the face. lol

The best job ever on this car is at that some point it had the front bumper resprayed, the person who did could not be assed to take the bumper off or cover the front grill and rad up, so painted all of that at the time but never preped it.
So its all flaking off and only half the fan has been sprayed silver.
Its amazing!!

These bits^^^^ make me think you've some how bought my old one!

You've probably got 'moonstone blue' too, which is pretty much silver.

Here's my old lover (you can see that the tailpipe isn't quite as it should be. Its off centre, and melted part of the bumper!)....

pug1.jpg

pug3.jpg

pug2o.jpg

And for anyone who wants to know, I finally got my starter motor off my mk2! The solenoid part is totally goosed, so ordered a new/refurbed one, arriving tomorrow for me to fit. Do I need to lube anything on fitting a replacement? first time I've ever took a starter motor off! lol

And for anyone who wants to know, I finally got my starter motor off my mk2! The solenoid part is totally goosed, so ordered a new/refurbed one, arriving tomorrow for me to fit. Do I need to lube anything on fitting a replacement? first time I've ever took a starter motor off! lol

Nothing that I can think of mate.
Some lock tight on the bolts/nuts might be good but apart from that no.
Check the cables and see what the contacts are like and give them a clean if needed.

Heres a couple of pics of our pug. Taken on the day we got it.

20100117-_MG_2085.jpg

20100117-_MG_2078.jpg

20100118-_MG_2153.jpg

And yeah but the big red button is a bit of a warning sign to the built quality.
"opps its broken again, hit the button"

Nothing that I can think of mate.
Some lock tight on the bolts/nuts might be good but apart from that no.
Check the cables and see what the contacts are like and give them a clean if needed.

Good stuff, didn't realise the bolts that hold the starter motor is part of the front subframe mount bolts, but I supported the engine to get the last one out realising how long they was. So weather permitting, the mk2 should be alive tomorrow. :)

Nice one dude.
Have you tried stripping down the old starter and cleaning it?
How bad is it?

Not sure mate, I couldn't even get the three crosshead screws off the solenoid part, but it looked tired and rusty, so a £60 recon job is a better long term bet for me, since the car's a keeper.

yeah good point.
Its not a hard job to strip and clean but for that price and since the car is a keeper, it does make sense.

I got a habbit of taking every thing apart I take off my car. lol

The 3 screws are a pain to get out. a good screw driver and a good hammer all ways helps.

If you're interested, here is some pics of one I stripped (I was bored and had one spare.)

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

Wahey! New starter motor installed, the mk2 is back on the road!! Sounds really refined to start now, spookily like a mk3 to start, so maybe the old starter was goosed afterall...

c17a9cb9.jpg

There are some good ones about. More on the Titanic theory...

[video=dailymotion;x7dbi4]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dbi4_the-titanic-conspiracy_news[/video]

Thats a good watch mate. Never knew that.
Thanks for posting.

Wahey! New starter motor installed, the mk2 is back on the road!! Sounds really refined to start now, spookily like a mk3 to start, so maybe the old starter was goosed afterall...

That's really tidy mate.
I do like a nice MK2.

Any more pics?

Here is the only pic I have of my mates Mk2 before he sold it.
Picture_016.jpg

And his new ride, the skoda. The other MK2 is belongs to another friends. I really need to get more pics lol.
23708_371505662013_583012013_3678414_4040806_n.jpg

EDIT:=-
I found the mk2 GTI's engine bay
MK216vGTI.jpg

Last edited:
That's really tidy mate.
I do like a nice MK2.

Any more pics?

Not really, I have a few pics when it was running standard height and standard BBS RA's.
EDIT:=-
I found the mk2 GTI's engine bay
MK216vGTI.jpg

I have a long way to go before it looks anything as tidy as that! lol

morning ladies,

Interesting vid Welly and your mk2 looks very smart JoJo!

todays the last day my turbo can come back from cr this week for any work to be done this weekend, finger crossed!

I was toying with the idea of buying a mk2 Golf last year,but as it would have been a daily driver i decided to get something newer.

Would love one with a 20VT engine to keep as a toy!

Alright sweethearts,

Dane, when you trying to scare your dad?

Mikey, It is very entertaining ride. He had some work done to it and pushing about 350BHP (so I was told), which is great but its a right pain trying to get the power down.

The pug has been dropped off at the garage to get fixed.
Got a quote for some body work repair on the A4.
and I bought a jump rope. :)

any thing interesting happening in the world?
I'm bored of building PCs.

Not much of interest here,just waiting for today to be done so i can have some more time off! Still got to come in sat am though, but then me and the missus are away for 2 nights sat/sun for our weddign ann. Best of all...... no kids!!!

Welly, did you ever get the scans from that mag?

I just stripped down the boot lid and fixed a wiper issee of a A3.
First A3 i've ever taken apart.
Next? :)

i really should wash it tomorrow,i have the day off and nothing planned so it might just get done! And as me and the missus are going away in it this weekend i should get it looking good.

Have you found out yet whats up with the Pug?

i really should wash it tomorrow,i have the day off and nothing planned so it might just get done! And as me and the missus are going away in it this weekend i should get it looking good.
You should. A nice clean car for holiday.
£5 down the local hand car wash, cheaper than a jetwash. :)

Have you found out yet whats up with the Pug?
No idea mate. I'm leaving it with him and waiting for a phone call. In no rush.
He has till end of next week before I start chasing.
Well, I'm in a little rush cause I want to get my car in to the body shop but I'll wait cause it will keep the misses happy.

Having a discusstion in work on which is more atractive.

Pippa

article-1381800-0BD71ECB00000578-815_306x716.jpg

Or Kate

article-1382015-0BD6BE3C00000578-13_306x950.jpg

50% says kate the other 50% says pippa.
Ok, there is only two of us in today. lol

Unsure, on the basis of those 2 pics I'm going Kate , but you could probably show me 2 different pics and I'd change my mind!

Back now - did I miss anything major (can't be bothered to go back through the thread).

Had a great Weekend at Thruxton for the British Touring Cars, did a load of maintenance on the house including replacing a rotten fence.

Paul