Looking at buying a speed/sports boat, Anybody here with one?

sportstractor

Chugger
Reaction score
hi all,

We have been thinking for a while now about getting a boat for water skiing and wake boarding. As usual there is loads about for sale on ebay. We have never had one before so dont know masses about it.

First off, we have the choice between sizes, probably looking at about 19ft as we want something that will confortably be able to carry 4-5 people. Then its wether we go for inboard or outboard engine? Assuming an outboard will take up less space and possibly easier to repair, what brand engines should we be looking for?

And seeing as we want to use it primarly skiing we either want a ski pole or a overhead frame would be even better. Budget is 4-6k. As said we dont know to much about it so any advice on the matter would be great!

yep we have some great waters near us, so will be perfect on a sunny day. Hence why I dont want a banger, As i dont want to be fixing it on a sunny day

I Bought this for my old man
67381_450611160632_585800632_5539427_555476_n.jpg

10ft with a 15hp evinrude outboard motor.
Loads of fun. Ok you can't get 4-5 people in it but its still fun.

I'd opt for a outboard over a inboard motor.
Outboards are cheaper, easier to maintain and service, They have better torque for pulling people out of the water, you can tilt the motor out of the water or remove it when the boat is in storage for winter.

But inboard motors create less wake, last longer and more efficient than outboards. They just cost allot more to repair.

Iv been on bigger jetskis than that, does look a laugh though. Yeah you right, I think outboard is the way to go.

Iv been on bigger jetskis than that, does look a laugh though. Yeah you right, I think outboard is the way to go.

Its such a giggle. So much fun.
me and a mate went out to test drive it when I got it. two 6foot 3 lads in a 10foot boat is a bit cosy.
Great laugh until it broken down. lol

I was advised that Japanese outboards are more reliable, but cost way more to repair/fix. Evinrude/johnstone cheaper to repair but less reliable. 2 stroke engines are simpler and have bags of torque, 4 strokes are way less torquey and need serviced more often.

I have 100hp v4 evinrude it is very fast on relatively small boat. You will spend many Sunday's cursing on slip somewhere though. No matter what budget you have!

Most important advise - " a boat is a hole in the ocean into which the owner continually pours the contents of his wallet"

Problem is the size of boat were looking at mainly has 200hp engines. In regards to costs, what is common problems caused by wear and tear? I have a couple friends who are actually marine mechanics so will have to pick there brains on costs etc

I dont have a boat but i have this- 180hp Yamaha FX-HO (Will hopefully be buying the FX-SHO next year)

1291447_fx_ho.jpg

I use it on the south coast, just off the isle of wight 2 or 3 times a year, nothing beats the site of the white cliffs when your 3 miles out at sea!

I tend to investigate tankers and cargo ships, and jump the wake of the ferries from france! 12ft waves here we come!

Seriously though, i would go with an outboard as much more convienient to use/repair and also easier to get into the water

Last edited:
sweet, my friend has a brand new supercharged yamy, apparently its redicilously fast, well it was until the charger ate itself. I was initially after a jetski but they arnt as social as a boat and are mental money.

Outboard it is, got a couple lined up, one of which i may see on the weekend