Should i buy this or not? Help please?

Gops

Badger 5 Edition
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi guys! I know this question has been up before but im looking for a car for my sister, some ibiza's and found a few good cars. However in my quest i seen this 09 ibiza which had covered 6000 miles!! Only problem was when i called she said it had light damage at the rear from an accident. She did say it was light damage and had been repaired by insurers but it was still a Cat-D. Should i consider getting this? I did think about future selling prices but my sister would be keeping this for a very long time so im in a dilemma..

The link to the car - 2009 SEAT IBIZA 1.4 Sport 3dr Sport Coupe

id appriciate your advice guys!:thumbsup:

Gops

Cat d is nothing I've just bought my son a Cat d Corsa as he has just passed his test.It cost me £300 pound to get fixed and hd has a nice little car for lot cheaper than what the book price is. It all depends on how cheap it is and whether your sister is bothered about driving around in a cat d car

It's an 09 plate! I'm not sure if it is on the log book but the owner did say
It was bought back and repaired and was a cat d. U reckon I should check it out to see the damage!?

We have owned 1 cat C car and 1 cat D..my theory is, if you are going to keep the car for a long time then the resale cost shouldn't be a factor that you look at. What you want to consider is how long does the car in question typically last. That's on 09 plate, if I was after a motor, I would definitely consider it.

As above, how much cheaper is it that the non-damaged equivalent?

It's an 09 plate! I'm not sure if it is on the log book but the owner did say
It was bought back and repaired and was a cat d. U reckon I should check it out to see the damage!?

Gops, if the seller has told you it's a CatD, you can bet your house on it that it would be registered as a CatD on a HPi check, there's no reason for a seller to make such a thing up to devalue his/her car.

Another thing to point out is, for an 09 plate to be CatD, it's never a small bump! Just think for a bit how much the car value is for an 09 plate, and for the repair of the damage to exceed this value to be registered as a CatD, I'm sure you can put 2 + 2 together.

Of course, if you still fancy it, I'd definitely have a good poke around, make sure all panels at the back end line up, look at the boot floor/wheelwell from underneath the car and by opening the boot and lifting the carpet etc. to see if it's all nice and straight.

I'd ask to see the pre-repair photos if they have them.

To declare a car Cat D would mean over 60% of the value of the car in repairs - so if the book value is around £6k that is over £3600 of repairs, which sounds a lot for a 'minor' bump.

As been mentioned the car is pretty new and will of had to have a lot of damage to class it as a cat d.
I just bought an A4 b5 and I wasn't told it was a cat c until I found out too late :banghead: but as the car is a 95 model it would only really need a minor knock because its not worth naff all to anyone else.

Go through it with a fine combe, make sure you get as much history on it before you make any decisions. Check with a HPi company and find out exactly what happened to it and what has been done to it.

Be very caucious :eyebrows:

As been mentioned the car is pretty new and will of had to have a lot of damage to class it as a cat d.

I agree - that car when pranged wouldn't have been all that much lower value thn when it was new - not with just 6000 miles on the clock.

'Light damage' doesn't really wash based on the fact that the damage for it to be written off (CAT D is total value of repair including VAT = greater than value of the car).

RRP of those new is £9395. Say the value of it at the point of damage was a conservative £5000 (although I think it would be more). The minimum amount it would have been to be written off at that point would be £4255.31 plus VAT (@17.5%).

How can that be classed as light damage? Even if it was less than the figure I estimate above, the damage value would have has to be into the thousands.

If it was me mate, I wouldnt, if the car is only on an 09 plate, it will still have some value on it, so a car that new with a decent price would mean alot of money to repair, hence the cat d status, however if it was a car say worth a grand, a slight knock of the bumper could make that into a cat d, which may not be much of an issue, due to the value of the car and repair work.