Help needed - a potential problem with a dealer.

Sparkie

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some advice on an imminent car purchase with which I may have a problem. I am supposed to be picking up a 2007 Audi S3 from an Audi Dealership on Friday morning but I'm having some difficulties and could do with a little advice. I have never bought from a dealership before having always bought privately.

I have noticed today when scrutinising a photo that I took that my new purchase appears to have some panels out of alignment. I don't know if this shows it clearly but it appears not to be as flush as the other side.

SDC12152-1.jpg

Now I appreciate that a car may have taken a little knock and if repaired properly there shouldn't be an issue but I'm concerned because from what I can see it may not be repaired to the best standard. I'd like to know what approach people would take with the dealer on this before I speak to them. I am tempted to ask them what they determined from their multi point check and if they have any repair noted on their system. Potentially contact that one previous owner who has just traded it in and ask him for details. If they are still adamant there is no damage perhaps ask them to put in writing that to the best of their knowledge it has not been in an accident?

The issue is compounded by the fact that I cannot even get to speak to my dealer. I put a deposit down on Saturday, she was off work Sun and Mon, didnt call me Tues when I left a message or Wed. I called her in the afternoon Wed when she took the call apologised. I asked a few questions with which she said she would get back to me in half an hour and I haven't heard from her since despite leaving another message today. Now tomorrow is the last day before the planned pick up.

Ok so sorry for all the detail but I 'd appreciate any thoughts.

TBH mate I see nothing but normality in that pic for 8P's generally, those gaps dont mean allot for these cars, but if you're worried just tell her you dont want the car as you're concerned for reasons ABC & tell her also your idea of communications to a buyer is pathetic & ask for deposit back.

Perhaps the picture doesn't show it clearly the way I've tried to enlarge it in photobucket but it's definitely very distinct. I'm not sure I'd agree that it's normal on a £30k car from a manufacturer with a reputation for build quality? Maybe you're right but I haven't seen workmanship like that on cars worth a fraction of the price.

Is it usual for them to refund a deposit at this stage or am I likely to have to argue my case? Ultimately I'd still like to buy the car but I need some confidence that it's ok first.

I never said its acceptable mate, but the bonnet probably needs moving across slightly on the hinges & tbh mate I've seen a brand new lambo with gaps you would think only madonna would be proud of.

Hell yeah if you dont want car, then ask for it back simple, they're obliged to refund if you're not happy about the item you're purchasing.

I would agree with Nigel, cant really see too much wrong with it, does look slightly out, but its not a brand new car, may be worth asking the questions at least, also the key thing here is the communication, if they are making a sale like this where they are getting money off you and not keeping in touch, think what its going to be like when and if you have any probs afterwards.

I would probably walk and look for another one, im really particular about customer service, so would be willing to do that and look for another one if I didnt get good service, dont forget, there will always be another one out there.

This is just my opinion of course :)

Thanks for the comments guys it's appreciated. I'll have a conversation and take it from there.

I too am a stickler for service so I'm keeping my anger at bay. I agree there are others out there but I am very pleased with the mileage/spec/deal and would most likely deal with a more local dealership in future so I'll keep an open mind before I decide to walk away.

oldlaw, no that would be the price new :salute:

A couple of things..

Sales Execs are all paid individually, so it wouldn't be unusual for no one to get back to you Sun/Mon. It's unacceptable for her to have gone home Tuesday without calling you back though. Same thing Wednesday, should have called before taking a lunch break [which undoubtably was taken]

I would call and speak with the Sales Manager tomorrow morning. If they are unavailable tomorrow ask to speak with the Dealer Principle. Explain your issue and the lack of contact. Insist that the car is not taxed and registered to you before the issue is resolved. Go and see the car again in the flesh to confirm the issue before you plan on collecting it.

DO NOT COLLECT THE CAR UNTIL THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED. If a PX value has been agreed as long as it's collected before a certain date they will have to extend it. You can get your money back if you wish - As long as the car hasn't been taxed and registered to you then nothing else is unreversable.

Work out what you want in order for the sale to progress - repair or reduction in price. they would offer you less as a PX if you took it back to them so why should you pay a premium for the condition.

Have it in your mind that the handover day might not be Friday.. It's much better to get this resolved whilst the car is still with them and full payment hasn't changed hands.

Lastly, update here tomorrow with progress.

Good luck sorting it,

Baz

looks normal to me

Going by that picture there is nothing wrong with it it seems. Maybe worrying over nothing, but if you feel that there is aproblem before you part with the finds ask! Its amazing what you can find out if you ask the right person the right questions :icon_thumright:

I spoke to the Sales Manager this morning. The car has been re-assessed by a technician and they are adamant there is no accident damage feeling that the panels can sometimes move out of alignment. They have now adjusted the panels and light. I will obviously make my own assessment when I see the car before paying. They will provide written confirmation to me that they have assessed the car and are happy there is no accident damage.

As far as the service levels are concerned they have acknowledged that it was below par but as I'm a stickler for good service I wont be happy on that front. As I said before I have no intention of using them beyond this as they are not local to me. I have a 30 day guarantee which I assume may need to be exercised there if I'm displeased for whatever reason but the years warranty I know can be applied at any dealership.

Thanks for all comments at short notice it's been very useful.

yeah just looks like the bonnet needs moving a bit. How did you not notice this when viewing the car? Sounds like your having second thoughts

It's bought and paid for. I've had a rather good day getting to know her a little bit.

They've done a good job on re-alignment and I'm satisfied that it's all above board and kosher. Looking forward to hitting her with the machine polisher tomorrow if I'm lucky enough with the weather.

Thanks mate. I'm thrilled to be honest and the car has almost everything I wanted so I'm really enjoying it.