Can a garage burn its old oil/ derv filters in a bin ?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Hi,
Im just after some advice,
Basicaly where i live there is a garage localy ( a matter of ten metres away ) that regularly burn old oil filters and the likes in a steel bin before putting them in a scrap bin,
My problem is ... it stinks and makes horrible smoke,
I myself have a wood burning boiler so this may sound just plain mardy but i checked the rules regarding my set up before it was fitted and as i dont live in a smoke free zone im fine . Is the same ok for the garage?
My chimany is about 12 metre high and only ever shows very faint smoke when the lid is opened to top up with wood . This bin is on the floor and the smoke fills the area outside my door.

Should i just man up and live with it or can i say something??

Thanks

Not legal or a suitable method of waste diposal. Phone your council environmental services department if you don't fancy speaking to them about it.

Thanks,
Thats kind of what i thought.
I work at an engineering company and we have to pay for the waste oil to be removed,
We as a company can not burn any waste now, but im not sure if we are in a smoke free zone ( same city but diffrent area )

Illegal. Simple.

It's meant to be disposed of by a licensed company, the garage is trying to cut corners to save cash.

my mate owns a garage and he has to pay people to come in and collect used oil and filters