Boilers gone!!!! F*£@

Dazmo

Reaction score
-4 tonight just left for work and the boiler has packed up. Fantastic

Damn thing turns on and turns back off after a few seconds, no pilot light.

Think it could be either low pressure or could be the flame sensor/probe at least thats what im hoping.

Fortunatly i have Npower home team cover so going to ring them tomoro.

You never think these things will happen to you until they do!

Any got any ideas?

Dunno mate, but my shop one went when it was -16, and it cost me £3.5k to put right including a completely new central heating system! So goodluck!

Condensation boiler?
Your drain out pipe is frozen.

Good shout, I was just about to say that!! lol.

So so so common in the cold weather. Get outside and pour warm water on it to heat it up, and then insulate it with some lagging.

Good shout, I was just about to say that!! lol.

So so so common in the cold weather. Get outside and pour warm water on it to heat it up, and then insulate it with some lagging.

Well npower are sending an engineer monday, so i have 2 f&%£@ing days of artic conditions.

Soon i will be scraping and de icing my tv before i can watch it, im most worried about not having the heating on and my pipes freezing up.

Where the hell is the drain out pipe? i see no pipes out side i just had a flu thing?

Dunno mate, but my shop one went when it was -16, and it cost me £3.5k to put right including a completely new central heating system! So goodluck!

I'm sure that story cheered him up no end!

Mine was low pressure when this happened. What's the gauge reading ?

Dazmo - does your contents insurance cover damage in the house (like that caused by water leaks, frozen pipes etc)? Worth checking for piece of mind.

What make and model is the boiler, that would help.

Most condensing combi or conventional boilers now do not have a pilot anyway, they light up with a shower of sparks from a spark generator.

If its an older boiler, it might be the fan that's packed up, its very common.

Without the boiler make/model it's like asking 'my car won't run for more than 2 seconds' You'll get answers like:

I have a Potterton Prima F from 1995 that did the same thing and it sort of got worse in the preceeding months. A quick check of the reset switch underneath showed that with some pressure (flexing the circuit board) the boiler would light. Google tracked this as a common fault with this circuit board so before shelling out £40 for a swap or £80 for a 'new' one, it was out with the soldering iron to freshen up the joints underneath. That was six months ago and the boilers worked every time since.

Hope the engineer's visit is/was OK.

Derren Brown (no, not really)