Speed camera, advice needed

A3Bash

Reaction score
Caught doing 47mph in a 40 zone. The 40 zone is temporary on the motorway. Anyway so got a NIP through the post asking for the drivers details etc... Now with the letter it says I can be considered for a speed awareness course. As I've got a clean license and had no incidents in the four years I've been driving how likely is this? Really annoyed but accept it's my fault :keule:

i can't comment from experience, but if you've been driving 4 years i gather you'll be young-ish (i myself have only been driving for 6) but i think that puts us at higher risk of having to attend this course because we're in a category that's high risk for causing accidents.

let us know how you get on anyways

I'm 21 but I would go for the course than the points. They want the details of the driver first before they decide if I should go on the course, but just want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences. It was only 7mph over the limit!

It was only 7mph over the limit!

LOL@only. I would have thought the speed camera in question would have give you 10% in the first instance, so anything upto 44mph, you would have been fine, but unfortunately, they are machines, you can't argue or negotiate with them. I would 100% take up the speed awareness course if given the choice, just gotta post your details first huh?

Thing is, you were caught at 47, and most cars including Audis speedos overread by quite a few %, so its entirely likely your speedo was indicating 50, which is 25% over the posted speed limit...

Moreover, you were not only speeding, but werent paying enough attention to the road to actually notice the camera and slow down for it!

Suck it up, take the points and learn from it!

Don't see how you can get out of this one. Take the course, much better than having points. Went on one last year, hilarious how little some of the people knew about speed limits and the highway code - one woman thought the speed limit on a motorway was 50mph!!

Have you checked the NIP to make sure it's legal?? When all else fails and you can't argue the actual circumstances always try to get out of it based in the legality of the ticket.

If I was caught bang to rights for travelling at 50-60 in a 40 limit then I'd take it on the chin, but for 47 in a 40, and as much as it's still my fault, that's an irritating NIP!

If it says they will consider a course, then just send off your details and take it. Trust me. I got caught speeding recently and I've been sent a summons. There's no point arguing over a course! It could get ugly!

Send it off and if offered a course take it, I did one and although it was boring and most didnt apply to speeding, it still left me with a clean license.

I have also argued against the AVG cameras on the M4 and won. Theres a clause in temporary restrictiosn where if you believe the temporary speed is unjust you can get out of it.

I.e me 3am going 60 in a 50 through the avg cameras.

They caught me fair enough, but i argued using.

1. Speed signs were not lit

2. No workers pressent

3. no obstructions to warrant the limit.

It worked and i got let off mostly on the no lights on the speeding signs.

As you've got a clean licence you'll get the course with no worries.

Cheers for the input guys, aythree like you've said, 47 in a 40 is just killing me inside!! I'll send it off and hope for the offer of the course! If I do get the points, it will be an SP50 (speeding on the motorway) on my insurance and it doesn't affect it one bit even with 3 points added. Very surprised, any ideas why? Not that I'm complaining!

So many people have points now even the insurance companies realise that it doesn't mean anything for speeding. And if they all were to up premiums, one would break ranks and lower the premiums in cases of speeding, if they had the accident data (which they do) which proved to their satisfaction that they weren't taking an excessive financial risk. At that point, the rest would broadly follow. I've heard something along the lines of 1 in 3 people have points on their license. That is too large a part of the market to not compete for. I thought it was around the 6 point mark you started to notice something. There was even a poll on here a while back that asked how many points people had. I've just searched for it, and realised I started it. That's quite embarrassing, I couldn't remember that.

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/general-chat/31070-speeding-points-poll.html

Do the course as said,
I did one was actually quite funny.
One guy got caught at 60 in a 40, the guy running it asked why he was caught, he replied that he was on the phone having an argument with his mum and it put him off! needless to say the room burst out laughing!
Worth it for the laugh, a clean license and some knowledge about cameras and how not to get caught ;-)

Have you checked the NIP to make sure it's legal?? When all else fails and you can't argue the actual circumstances always try to get out of it based in the legality of the ticket.

If I was caught bang to rights for travelling at 50-60 in a 40 limit then I'd take it on the chin, but for 47 in a 40, and as much as it's still my fault, that's an irritating NIP!

I got away with 70 in a 40 based on exactly that - that was back in 2003 when I has been driving for 2 week.... Whoops. Ended up going to court and representing myself - lol.

I have also been on a speed awareness course. A waste of time on a Saturday morning I must admit, but I did have 9 points at the time so was better than being banned.

Still costs you the £60 as well!