Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: replica watches

2nd Gear

Status

replica watches

hey guys, ive been researching the world of replica watches and was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with them, i actually collect watches as a kind of hobby, but have never owned a rep,
    so was hoping for some input

cal

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Guess it depends on the quality of the replica? I bought a Bvlgari from Hong Kong a few years back for Ł25 and it was spot on, engravings in all the right places, weight and it kept time impeccably.
    Didnt' think anything of it until shopping a Gucci watch for the wife in one of those places that does all the decent brands, checking out the different watches with the assistant who after noticing it comments on how nice it was etc.. I'd expected them to be able to tell a fake a mile away.

events moderator

Status
    they a ****e i bought one while on holiday in cyprus it didnt even last till i got home
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    There's a reason they're so cheap...
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I can't see the point of them. I'd rather wear a real Casio than a fake Cartier.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    My mate bought me a Breitleing from Pisa, Never seen such a lovely watch. Its still going strong and i havent even changed the battery, owned it for about 16 months. Looks fantastic, on the other hand my mother in law bought me some fancy copy from the far east....I tee'd off at my local course and the watch exploded into a hundred pieces, much to the delight of my playing buddies lol.

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Exactly. Could get a decent watch, could get a plum. Either way their not going to be nearly as good as a genuine one...
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

2nd Gear

Status
    If your willing to spend around Ł250 quid, you will get a watch that is 99% accurate to the original, with a swiss ETA movement, waterproofing, correct weight and detail.

Personally though......i would rather wait till i could afford the real thing, or do without.
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I started off with a rep Omega Seamaster(Ł80 IIRC), but now have a genuine Omega Speedmaster. No one could tell the Seamaster was a fake, not unless you held a genuine one next to it, and why would anyone question it's authenticity in the first place? lol

Infact, I took my Speedmaster back for a warranty repair, and wore my Seamaster for a month, still a nice feelgood factor wearing it, real or fake.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    i thought this was spam at first lol

where do ya get these watches from?

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - ÂŁ2500 Mods Inc

needs to scratch the itch

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    i thought this was spam at first lol

where do ya get these watches from?
    From some dodgy geezer in a BMW in the motorway services car parks i expect lol

6th Gear

Status
    ive got a rep Panerai, and the quality is amazing, right down to the weight, markings, with a full automatic swiss ETA movement, ok it still cost more then most people would spend on a watch anyway, but ive had it 4 years, it doesnt loose time, well except when you dont wear it, and the only thing to go on it is the leather strap... really need to get that changed, but all the ones on ebay look rubbish... must email the company i got the watch from!
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

Interior Next!!

Status
    when i was buying my watch i kept coming across the "proper" reps.. i mean ive bought reps loads of times, some great some sh*t... the swiss ones do look good and im sure 99.9999% of people couldnt tell the difference but im a bit of a twat like that and where i know its not real would get a complex... ive got my baby now anyway so no watches for a good few years... unless i sell it to mod my car has crossed my mind a few times, could prob get a lot done too...

thing is i got a cracking deal and as you know a well branded original watch will hold value big time.. i purchased my watch with a 25% reduction + the RRP has gone up over Ł700 in the last 24 months, best purchase ever!! so if i was to sell id most likely make a nice few quid... hence the reason i wont i think...
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post

thing is i got a cracking deal and as you know a well branded original watch will hold value big time.. i purchased my watch with a 25% reduction + the RRP has gone up over Ł700 in the last 24 months, best purchase ever!! so if i was to sell id most likely make a nice few quid... hence the reason i wont i think...
    yeah they don't half hike up the prices....I managed to pick up a Speedmaster about five years ago for Ł800 ish that was being sold as "used" at Goldsmiths. It had just been bought and returned so was as new....

I only realised when browsing around Watches of Switzerland a couple of weeks ago that the same model is now Ł1800 !. Would never sell a watch but its nice to know they keep value
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    when i was buying my watch i kept coming across the "proper" reps.. i mean ive bought reps loads of times, some great some sh*t... the swiss ones do look good and im sure 99.9999% of people couldnt tell the difference but im a bit of a twat like that and where i know its not real would get a complex... ive got my baby now anyway so no watches for a good few years... unless i sell it to mod my car has crossed my mind a few times, could prob get a lot done too...
    couldnt agree more, but i refuse for the time to spend 5k on a watch, and the model i wanted they dont make any more, but the rep is more of an everyday thing that i dont mind it getting a bit bashed about as its only a rep
    but i do have a genuine Omega which i love, had it 6 years and not long ago got it back from a service and it looked like new! since getting it back the rep hasnt been worn and im not quite sure where it is... sure its in a draw
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    yeah they don't half hike up the prices....I managed to pick up a Speedmaster about five years ago for Ł800 ish that was being sold as "used" at Goldsmiths. It had just been bought and returned so was as new....

I only realised when browsing around Watches of Switzerland a couple of weeks ago that the same model is now Ł1800 !. Would never sell a watch but its nice to know they keep value
    haha think we have the same watch then, i noticed the way the prices have jumped at christmas when i was shopping, i was stunned!!

4th Gear

Status
    What's the point in any fake?

You buy that item because of it's quality, and the way it makes you feel etc.

There's a very easy way to tell a fake - the screen - cheap sh*t watches will scratch on the screen no matter how well you look after them. A real watch will resist scratches.
    I wear my Seamaster every day - I'm an engineer and it gets bashed and knocked every day at work but the screen is perfect still as it's diamond faced glass.

Anyone thinking of buying one - do yourselves a favour and buy a real one for a big shop, they'll give you it on 0% - that's howi got my Seamaster - and yes the prices have gone up since I got it - they're around Ł1200 now!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Good 2 B A Gooner View Post

Anyone thinking of buying one - do yourselves a favour and buy a real one for a big shop, they'll give you it on 0% - that's howi got my Seamaster - and yes the prices have gone up since I got it - they're around Ł1200 now!
    Or try and find a friend who works in the trade that can get you 30% off! that's how much I got off my Speedmaster, and they have gone up in price too also!

6th Gear

Status
    What's the point in any fake?

You buy that item because of it's quality, and the way it makes you feel etc.

There's a very easy way to tell a fake - the screen - cheap sh*t watches will scratch on the screen no matter how well you look after them. A real watch will resist scratches.
    I wear my Seamaster every day - I'm an engineer and it gets bashed and knocked every day at work but the screen is perfect still as it's diamond faced glass.

if only this was true, my genuine omega has a scratch on the sapphire crystal glass, my replica panerai, no scratch on its sapphire crystal glass... and i take a lot more care over the omega then i do the replica!

when i took the omega to watches of switzerland they looked shocked. said i must of rubbed up against a diamond, but as i dont know anyone with a diamond i was and still am a little confused about how it happened

S3 (8P)

Status
    I bought a fake watch last year.
    When I took it out of the box it was a kiwi fruit.

Never kept the right time however it did proivide one of my 5 a day so not a complete waste of money.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2.4 V6 sound

Status
    while on hol's in rhoades, we see some ladies gucci reps, nice! but on closer inspection they said guggi on the watchface. we did chuckle.

'98 A4 2.4 SE

Status
    I own a genuine Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer (full size, black) and love it to bits, but fancied a change and bought a Faux Rolex Explorer II direct from China via a friend who went there on business. It was about Ł90, so towards the top of the quality line for fakes over there.

Fooled a Rolex dealer who adjusted the bracelet on it! The weight and markings were perfect, it was fantastic... However what I didn't realise was that it had zero water resistant properties, I got it wet and it stopped working. One of the springs failed in it

A local watchmaker took it in to try to repair it and was confident it had a Swiss ETA movement in it, so ordered the replacement spring, only to find that it was a Chinese copy of the ETA movement that needed a very slightly different spring, that he couldn't get hold of.

Was a real shame, as it looked spot on, but was useless in the end.
    Cheers

Josh

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    if only this was true, my genuine omega has a scratch on the sapphire crystal glass, my replica panerai, no scratch on its sapphire crystal glass... and i take a lot more care over the omega then i do the replica!

when i took the omega to watches of switzerland they looked shocked. said i must of rubbed up against a diamond, but as i dont know anyone with a diamond i was and still am a little confused about how it happened
    I'd say that's a fault with the screen - I've caught it heavily on a brick work, metal etc. As I said, as an engineer I gets bashed all day - still fine. Mates think I'm mad but I didn't buy it to wear 5 times a year.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I wear my Omega daily too, it's got a few marks on it, dropped it onto solid tiled a few times also and dinked the crown bit. I got that part replaced with the insurance/warranty package I got with the watch, but they wouldn't change the rim but around crystal bit, stating it was wear and tear! It happened at the same time as the dink on the crown when I frikin dropped it!! Screen is still scratch free though...

6th Gear

Status
    I'd say that's a fault with the screen - I've caught it heavily on a brick work, metal etc. As I said, as an engineer I gets bashed all day - still fine. Mates think I'm mad but I didn't buy it to wear 5 times a year.
    the only problem is the watch was 4 years old at the time, and they said the only thing that would have scratched it was a diamond, so if i had bumped into a diamond ring a bit hard, which is always possible... next time i get the watch serviced ill get it replaced

thats the only mark ive picked up on it, and ive clouted it pretty hard a few times on stuff, am an architectural student so have spent a lot of time on building sites so brick work, block work, steels, the metal work of the watch was quite badly marred but after the last service came back like new... just the flipping glass