petrol prices in the uk

there have been several petitions on the governemnts side they let them run and then do nothing about them

just put another £15 in my bike, last fill up was before new year .. £18 :eyebrows:

Bikes for the Win! :p

pfft its only like a fiver more per tank, stop moaning.

Some people have no option but to drive.
Mp's ignore everything, if they didn't get driven and claim everythin like scrounging benefit mongs then it would be different. They simply do not care about REAL people.
I just really really want to know the reasons and justifications behind the amount of tax on it. There's NO need at all. Maybe it's a plan to get us in Eco charriots

So there are 18,000+ active users on this site, according to the stats. Some of those must be involved in politics; some of those must be involved in finance/economics at the macro level. It wouldn't be beyond them to come up with a letter that is someways beyond the level of "petrol & diesel costs a lot and I don't like it". Assume that 20% of people actually care enough to then print out this letter, or better yet, e-mail it (can you e-mail your MP?) to their MP, and you have nearly 4,000 letters. Not a lot, really. However, a number of the more active members on here are members of other forums too, especially the motoring ones. Pretty soon it would be possible to replicate this on other forums. If letters are written to MPs, don't they try to respond to every one? Set a date for posting the letters - give it a couple of months to build up some momentum. All letters are to be sent on the 1st May for example. That way, you get a concentration of letters about fuel duty at the same time - more effective than a drip feed. The hope is that a Member will then raise it as a question, e.g. at PMQs. Perhaps the letter can request this. And it then gets repeated, in 2 months time. Or a month is chosen to target MP surgeries.

Or, you can sign up to an online petition.

Or, do nothing. It's going to continue in one direction. I work for an oil company, and none of us are expecting oil to be dropping in price any time soon. The dollar : pound exchange rate right now is helping, but that isn't going to move too much - an interest rate hike will actually help drop petrol prices, slightly.

I freely admit, I am not the person to write the letter. But there has to be someone on here who can, and make it sound more than just a rant? Would that be such a bad use of our collective time?

Last edited:
So there are 18,000+ active users on this site, according to the stats. Some of those must be involved in politics; some of those must be involved in finance/economics at the macro level. It wouldn't be beyond them to come up with a letter that is someways beyond the level of "petrol & diesel costs a lot and I don't like it". Assume that 20% of people actually care enough to then print out this letter, or better yet, e-mail it (can you e-mail your MP?) to their MP, and you have nearly 4,000 letters. Not a lot, really. However, a number of the more active members on here are members of other forums too, especially the motoring ones. Pretty soon it would be possible to replicate this on other forums. If letters are written to MPs, don't they try to respond to every one? Set a date for posting the letters - give it a couple of months to build up some momentum. All letters are to be sent on the 1st May for example. That way, you get a concentration of letters about fuel duty at the same time - more effective than a drip feed. The hope is that a Member will then raise it as a question, e.g. at PMQs. Perhaps the letter can request this. And it then gets repeated, in 2 months time. Or a month is chosen to target MP surgeries.

Or, you can sign up to an online petition.

Or, do nothing. It's going to continue in one direction. I work for an oil company, and none of us are expecting oil to be dropping in price any time soon. The dollar : pound exchange rate right now is helping, but that isn't going to move too much - an interest rate hike will actually help drop petrol prices, slightly.

I freely admit, I am not the person to write the letter. But there has to be someone on here who can, and make it sound more than just a rant? Would that be such a bad use of our collective time?

Good point mate, and one that i agree with.

Theres a petition in the sun newspaper, but i wont be holding my breath.

What we need is fuel strikes like we had a few years back, but they can charge you with the terrorism act, if you start blockades!

Pretty soon there will be rioting and civil unrest, people wont take much more of this, look at tunisia.

I read an interesting article recently regarding guns in the USA and the right to bear arms, the guy was right with what he was saying.

When you have a legally armed civilian population you have a government that works for its people as it would fear retribution and civil unrest, youhave democracy.

When you have an unarmed civilian population you have tyranny.

I'm yet to be convinced by the US system - I dare not honk or flash, lest they decide to whip out their shotgun/hand gun/pistol. This is Texas, after all!

Think I may have found a new record high. How does £2.82 a litre grab you? Admittedly it was 102 octane and it was onsite at Silverstone racetrack today, but surely thats just taking the pizz. Regular 95 octane was a more reasonable £1.43 a litre.

how about an all audi-sport.net slow-mo at 20mph up the m1?

Cr*p to hear prices of £1.70 a litre by summer mentioned on the radio last night. Not cheering at all...

Cr*p to hear prices of £1.70 a litre by summer mentioned on the radio last night. Not cheering at all...

Fcuking outrageous

Something has to be done about this

I don't understand why we are taxed so highly!!! The Americans are up in arms about it being $3 a gallon, whereas we're paying the equivalent of around $10 a gallon

I don't understand why we are taxed so highly!!! The Americans are up in arms about it being $3 a gallon, whereas we're paying the equivalent of around $10 a gallon

You see all the spongers we have about and the lovely free NHS we have in this country, someone has to pay for it....

Why should we have to pay for it?

It's not we as such, but motorists are an easy target for revenue.

You can choose not to pay it by not filling up, but how else are you going to use your car?!?!

VAT also, they hiked it up to 20%, just to pay of the national debt.

It all adds up...

the fuel protests start 2nite at stanlow in cheshire

if we are going to start boycotting companies lets start with the high street banks these greedy bas%%%ds caused all this in the first place . and have they learnt anything have they hell the champagne charlies are still at it and the porche dealers in canary wharfe are doing very very well thank YOU