Outlook query???

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
I've been scratching my head all morning trying to sort this one out.

I've got a couple of users in brazil who send webmail emails using Outlook.
Their outlook settings are as follows:

Email address - xxxxx@1111.com
Username - xxxxx@2222.com

(with all the other settings as they should be.)

The reason the email address and username are different is because the email address I want recipients to see (@1111.com) is one that carries our company name as the domain. I have forwarding set up on this address (@1111.com ---> @2222.com) so that incoming mails still arrive at the webmail address.
The username has the domain of the webmail provider.

Now, everything worked fine until yesterday, but now they can't send outgoing emails anymore. Incoming still works.

When testing the settings in outlook everything passes (finds pop, smtp, etc) but the test email sending fails, giving the error message "Unable to send test message. Please verify the email address".

If I then change the 'email address' field setting to the address of the webmail domain (@2222.com) test email sending works.

So it seems to me that the webmail provider is now checking that all emails sent via its server carry an email address from their domain. (probably to combat spoofing etc).

I have no hope of contacting the provider and trying to sort this out as they are a brazilian company.

So my question.... can anyone think of a workaround?

I've been scratching my head all morning trying to sort this one out.

I've got a couple of users in brazil who send webmail emails using Outlook.
Their outlook settings are as follows:

Email address - xxxxx@1111.com
Username - xxxxx@2222.com

(with all the other settings as they should be.)

The reason the email address and username are different is because the email address I want recipients to see (@1111.com) is one that carries our company name as the domain. I have forwarding set up on this address (@1111.com ---> @2222.com) so that incoming mails still arrive at the webmail address.
The username has the domain of the webmail provider.

Now, everything worked fine until yesterday, but now they can't send outgoing emails anymore. Incoming still works.

When testing the settings in outlook everything passes (finds pop, smtp, etc) but the test email sending fails, giving the error message "Unable to send test message. Please verify the email address".

If I then change the 'email address' field setting to the address of the webmail domain (@2222.com) test email sending works.

So it seems to me that the webmail provider is now checking that all emails sent via its server carry an email address from their domain. (probably to combat spoofing etc).

I have no hope of contacting the provider and trying to sort this out as they are a brazilian company.

So my question.... can anyone think of a workaround?

Yes. Easy one this dude, and I come across it only a daily basis now. All big ISPs are following suit with this. BT for example, will not allow a domain which is not registered with them to use either the smarthost for exchange, or the generic SMTP servers for sending email. You can phone them up and register the domain with them, which resolves this issue.

However, generally speaking, people also want to be able to send email on the move, from anywhere. If your Outlook config is set for you local LAN's SMTP server, chances are that when you go to hotel for example, and try and send mail, it will fail for similar reasons.

We resell for a company called AuthSMTP (Outgoing authenticated SMTP server and email relay service (solves most SMTP and email relay errors).) who provide a very simplistic managed SMTP service. It is very well priced to be fair for the service you get. You can get a 1 GB outbound email allowance per month for £95 per annum. There are also many other options with less size and cost. You can register several email accounts on one account also.

SPAM is making this a common problem now sadly. When I first started in the IT game, BT's Moongate SMTP server was still online and operational. It required no authentication whatsoever. The advent of SPAM has really stuffed all the genuine email senders.

But the fact that they know we are genuine users (as we are logging into their smtp server with a valid username and password) makes what they are doing overkill.

I got the girls out in brazil to phone the email host when the problem first started but they wouldn't allow us to register our @1111.com address with them.

So basically, apart from paying for a service you mentioned, we are stuffed.

Last edited:
Yes. Easy one this dude, and I come across it only a daily basis now. All big ISPs are following suit with this. BT for example, will not allow a domain which is not registered with them to use either the smarthost for exchange, or the generic SMTP servers for sending email. You can phone them up and register the domain with them, which resolves this issue.

However, generally speaking, people also want to be able to send email on the move, from anywhere. If your Outlook config is set for you local LAN's SMTP server, chances are that when you go to hotel for example, and try and send mail, it will fail for similar reasons.

We resell for a company called AuthSMTP (Outgoing authenticated SMTP server and email relay service (solves most SMTP and email relay errors).) who provide a very simplistic managed SMTP service. It is very well priced to be fair for the service you get. You can get a 1 GB outbound email allowance per month for £95 per annum. There are also many other options with less size and cost. You can register several email accounts on one account also.

SPAM is making this a common problem now sadly. When I first started in the IT game, BT's Moongate SMTP server was still online and operational. It required no authentication whatsoever. The advent of SPAM has really stuffed all the genuine email senders.

if they are in a hotel can they not use any company certified VPN facilities and then go via the LAN?

or use a blackberry if the company has a BES etc

Aythreee, I have a working, and free, solution for you, but it's a little convoluted to explain here - do you want to give me a call? If yes I will PM you my mobile number.

if they are in a hotel can they not use any company certified VPN facilities and then go via the LAN?

or use a blackberry if the company has a BES etc

VPN is next to dead technolocy these days mate. Outlook over VPN is slow. Published services are the way forward.

Exhcnage 2007 & 2010's Outlook anywhere feature for example.

VPN is next to dead technolocy these days mate. Outlook over VPN is slow. Published services are the way forward.

Exhcnage 2007 & 2010's Outlook anywhere feature for example.

depends how u connect to VPN. It might be dead in small companies but certainly not in the particular bank i work for and previous employers.

I'm still confused why web mail is being used and not an exchange environment unless there's not enough users to justify it.

meh ill leave ya to it.

depends how u connect to VPN. It might be dead in small companies but certainly not in the particular bank i work for and previous employers.

I'm still confused why web mail is being used and not an exchange environment unless there's not enough users to justify it.

meh ill leave ya to it.

I agree, Exchange would be the best way to do the required tasks here. BUT I would imagine that the reason is that these people in Brazil are working on behalf of the company that Aythreee works for. Therefore mail to their addresses are simply forwarded on to other addresses.

This is fine, but the problem arises when trying to SEND from these accounts using the third party email address. As it's a forwarder only, it has now account to use for authentication.

Banks, and toher institutions tend to use VPN End Point technology still because of it's encryption levels, and security. Published services are less secure I grant you, but it's the future.

I may have a solution for you, I'm just reviewing...

Aythreee, I have a working, and free, solution for you, but it's a little convoluted to explain here - do you want to give me a call? If yes I will PM you my mobile number.

I would've taken you up on your kind offer mate but you know what I've just done.....

I've been getting fed up of these brazilian hosts for a while now, so I've just created new mailboxes for the girls' on a different host I use for my **** colleagues, and have pointed their @1111.com addresses to it.
I'm in total control of this **** host so will be a lot easier to troubleshoot etc in future.

All working now!

Cheers again for the offer though mate. :applaus:

In short, if you can, what were you thinking as a fix for the problem though?? I'm interested.

Exactly that. It's two women in an office in Brazil, with no IT support. They had these webmail type accounts when they joined us and were already configured (outlook/blackberry) to use them.

Was just easier to set up a forwarder and leave them with what they had..... until now!

Exactly that. It's two women in an office in Brazil, with no IT support. They had these webmail type accounts when they joined us and were already configured (outlook/blackberry) to use them.

Was just easier to set up a forwarder and leave them with what they had..... until now!

See, I never ever do that. I always put everything my way to start with to avoid potential problems in the future.

Only because this sort of thing has happened to me before to be fair. There is nothing worse than trying to reverse engineer a solution when it's broken. Much easier when it's working as there is no pressure! lol

See, I never ever do that. I always put everything my way to start with to avoid potential problems in the future.

Only because this sort of thing has happened to me before to be fair. There is nothing worse than trying to reverse engineer a solution when it's broken. Much easier when it's working as there is no pressure! lol

Their english is as good (bad) as my portuguese so I just couldn't face trying to talk them through configuring outlook with the changes.
They're better with english now so it's easier.
Failing that I'll just use teamviewer to control their PC and guess where to click in outlook (portuguese version!)

Their english is as good (bad) as my portuguese so I just couldn't face trying to talk them through configuring outlook with the changes.
They're better with english now so it's easier.
Failing that I'll just use teamviewer to control their PC and guess where to click in outlook (portuguese version!)

Oh happy days.... lol.