Accidents at work...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
We have all no dout seen all the ambulance chaser adverts on tv,
But my question is... IF you have an accident at work, in work hours doing your job which means you need to take a couple of days off to recover from ( something like a cut hand, sprained ankle or what was my problem a broken rib )
Are you completely ******** in that the company doesnt need to pay you anything more than stat. sick pay?
I idealy needed to take a week off but had to work in alot of pain as i have bills to pay,
Somebody did say to me "if it happened at work, they should pay you for it"
But my company said. NOPE

As said if the accident happend in work they should of paid for you to have the time off to recover.
If you are going to claim dont try the companies on the tv. Go to a local solicitor and they can deal with it for you.
Also hope your feeling better soon mate

Thanks,
Im about back on par now,
I just thought it was shocking that it happened while i was doing my job, ( basicaly some muppet had stacked alot of steal next to a machine i was setting up i turned and bang,) I went to hospital that evening and was advised to stay off work and rest, But with life how it is, the cost without pay would be too great.

Big question, how did you break your rib? Did you trip over something and land badly? If so, could the company have done anything to prevent it. If not, don't bother with a court case, the company has to be negligent. And it will be your job to prove that they could have prevented it happening.

Most of the ads on telly are a load of crap, the guy falling off the ladder for instance. His company gave him the incorrect ladder? Crap, he still used it and in doing so contributed to the accident, and the working at heights regs say you cannot work off a ladder, its to access and egress your work area. So no, he would not have got anything and the case wouldn't have gone to court, its misleading.
If he was working for me I would have supplied a mobile tower scaffold, and it would have been in the method statment.

I work for a firm of personal injury solicitors.... I shall go and ask the question.... Wait 1.

The steel wasnt on a rack,
The forklift driver just put it as close as he could to the machine to "make it easier" for me,
I just didnt expect it to be there, as it wasnt on the correct racking,
I was never after a "claim" as such, i was just shocked to be told its not their fault and unlucky,

Just asked one of the solicitors here - he said unless otherwise stated in your contract, SSP is all you are entitled to. The fact that the injury happened at work is irrelevant.

Sorry dude.

Ah,
I actualy went to check my contract... then realised about 80% of the company dont actualy have one !
So im guessing i should probably tread very careful

You will need to claim then which will also include loss of earnings and this will be hard for them to defend as you will be advised if you take legal advise. Also well worth documenting what action they have taken since this risk has been identified through your accident. Was there a risk assesment for the task and has this been reviewed. If you had been off for 3 days it would also have been a reportable incident. I deal with a lot of my company claims you would be shocked by some of them.

The company i worked for before did risk assesments for any new method/ machine or product used.
Where i am now is stuck in the 50's
No fire alarm.
only just started to do the odd risk assesment. But always on completely random things.No action was taken at all , We have an over head crain we are all expected to use ( without any training )

The company i worked for before did risk assesments for any new method/ machine or product used.
Where i am now is stuck in the 50's
No fire alarm.
only just started to do the odd risk assesment. But always on completely random things.No action was taken at all , We have an over head crain we are all expected to use ( without any training )
Jeez thats the dark ages Paul,I really hope it gets sorted for you.

I had a month off due to an accident that happened out of work, and involved about 3 month's of light duties once i was back. Full pay the whole time.
Suppose some companies are just better than other's in certain respect's