keeping an idea 'safe'

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
I have an idea which I need to develop. In order to do this I am going to have to get advice from someone who who knows the field. I dont, and I dont know anyone specifically that does. I will have to speak to a 'stranger' but am worried they will be able to take the idea and run. Is there any way I can approach this without getting stung. I dont want to go into the specifics of the idea except its an idea for a search engine.

Ask him for his advice, then kill him.

I thought that was the only option, but was hoping there is some other way. Even through a lawyer, I cant see how an idea can be safeguarded. The 'expert' can gas to others or wriggle round it I am quite sure.

Can't you patent the idea 1st, then talk to people to get advise on how to make it work?

What's the idea btw? :ermm:

A lawyer would be struck off so goodbye to a couple of hundred grand a year for life.

Email it to your self?
You got a date stamp and a to and from address.
If he does run with it, you can prove its your idea cause you had the idea X amount of time before him.

Only thing i can think of.

you can put all your info in a "Special Delivery" parcel and send it to yourself, Do not open it when it arrives, Then you have a date stamped copyrighted product, after that you can take the 2nd set of plans out and show them, if any bad things go on then you have all the evidence that you had the idea and stored it,

Deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis. If you have design concepts/drawings of your design/idea. You own whats known as "intellectual copyright" and you can sue on that basis for up to 5 years before you put a patent on it. You can even claim royalties in "each product sold" if really successful. If you date all your concept drawings and catalogue this you should be ok.

The best known example of this is Bill Gates, developed an operation system for Compaq and did it for free on the basis that each computer sold would earn him $14, that agreement is still in place today.

I have my solicitor go over all my documents before discussion with other companies to seal any possible loopholes.

You can hire a "copyright lawyer" but they are expensive. Looking at between 5-10k for a fairly simple design concept review. Between 80-100k for an entire machine.

Last edited: