Gift Ideas

Jonay

Reaction score
My Mrs is an apprentice mechanical engineer, currently occupied as a draughtsperson, she'll be starting college in the new year and well tbh i haven't the foggiest what to get her.

Are there any other engineers out there who would recommend any books or things like that that would compliment her studies or would be handy to have?

I've got her petty little things.. but I'm wanting to get her something that she hasn't mentioned before that would be a benefit to her and not "waste" my cash.

Also if anyone's got any other gift ideas that they think is good for anyone else - friends / family etc then post here.. I'm sure someone else can benefit!

A nice set of digital vernier Calliper's, and snap-on voucher's

might be worth ringing the place where she will be studying, each tutor seems to have their favorite ref books.

a copy of autocad might come in or possibly some add on for it I think they use a quick acess mouse mat thing. But things might have changed since I did bits.

TBH books like the zeus can be got for free I used to have draws full of books like that all for nowt

Im currently a structural design draughtsman, TBH i really wouldnt bother with any software like auto CAD or something like solid edge or tekla which if you buy legitimatly can cost anything up to 15k per seat (user) especially as these are available free from certain sites on the net allbeit illegally, the things i use every day and wouldnt do without are a decent scientific calculator, scale rule, and something as simple as a geometry set. Nice mechanical pencil maybe. Zeus book is pretty handy for a little stocking filler.

Thanks lads.. I've gone and got her a Zeus book.. I totally forgot about that!! I used to work in an engineering place a few years ago but not in the workshop and it totally slipped my mind.

I think her next present will be a new computer as her current one is stoneage and she needs a decent one for using autoCAD Inventor at home.. Which would have been mega useful during the recent snow flurry that swept the nation and she got 4 snow days doing higher maths and physics revision pre-college stuff.

machinereys, or roarks formulas for stress and strain should serve her well

My Dads a Dr. of Mech Eng and i almost ended up on a Aerospace Eng. Degree ( before changing subjects ), get her a subscription to professional engineering magazine/journal. Very good jobs posted in there aswell.

S