Anyone able to recommend free software for ripping DVD to iPad

I use Handbrake and it works ok. I've not tried anything else though, so not an expert opinion!

Videora is better for the novice user as its got a simple wizard type interface, and it even places the converted video into itunes automatically for you.
Downside is that you have to be connected to the internet to use it.
Conversion speed and results are pretty much the same for videora and handbrake.... 20-30mins to convert a 700mb video file on an average spec'd computer.

For straight forward converting then videora.
For more advanced tweaking of the video file then go for handbrake.

Oh, and handbrake you can queue videos for conversion. So you can set say 5 videos to convert one after each other without having to kick off each one manually.

Last edited:
Videora is better for the novice user as its got a simple wizard type interface, and it even places the converted video into itunes automatically for you...

...For straight forward converting then videora.
For more advanced tweaking of the video file then go for handbrake...

Have you seen the latest version of handbrake? It has presets specifically for iPad, AppleTV, iPhone, etc. Perfect for a novice. Far better than previous versions in that respect.

Have you seen the latest version of handbrake? It has presets specifically for iPad, AppleTV, iPhone, etc. Perfect for a novice. Far better than previous versions in that respect.

Yeah, handbrake is what I use and those presets are useful. I think the fact that even after you select say iPad it still displays the default values and it can all look a bit complicated. Also the command prompt box popping up during conversion might give a computer novice a shock.

Videora's interface is one of the easiest I've seen. It asks you which file you want convert, then asks what you want to name it, then asks if you want the audio/video quality 'good' or 'high' or 'best' instead of just giving you numbers to play with like handbrake does, then it gives a button to click to start converting. There's a little progress bar with time left till completion too.
Once it's finished it opens iTunes for you and sticks the converted file in there, ready for syncing.

Downside is that it isn't a multi device program like handbrake. Videora only offer separate software for iPhone conversions or iPad conversion, etc.